The Southern Lights

Start from the beginning

"Asami!" I spun around and saw Tonraq, backing away from the crowd and waving his hand in the air. I waved back and pushed my way through a sea of people wearing blue, and realized that my pink parka made me stick out like a sore thumb. He threw his arms around me as I was finally spat out from the crowd. "You made it! How was the trip?"

"Oh, it was fine until the storm," I said as we left the dock. "I'm sorry I'm so late, how long were you waiting?"

"Not too long," he said as we approached the snowmobile. "I was actually running a little late, too. This hunk of junk is falling apart and almost didn't start, I was worried I'd have to bring Naga."

"What's going on with it? I can take a look, if you like." I offered.

He shook his head as he secured my bag to the back. "You're on vacation!" He said, helping me onto the snowmobile, "let's get you home before you freeze to death in that coat." He turned the key in the ignition and the engine spluttered once. "If this damn thing would work."

"Tonraq, let me take a look at it tom-" but the engine finally kicked into gear and the snowmobile lurched forward. I pulled my scarf up over my face in a failed attempt to shield myself from the cold air and squinted to protect my eyes from watering, which only forced the tears out onto my cheeks.

I'm going to take Korra up on her offer to get me some warmer Water Tribe clothes, I thought as they froze against my skin.

Before long we pulled up outside Korra's house and Tonraq led us inside. "Well, at least we made it home! I hope you're hungry, Senna was cooking up a storm earlier."

My stomach clenched as I pulled the scarf away from my face. "Honestly, I'm feeling a little seasick after sailing past that storm."

"Asami, it's so good to see you, sweetie!" Senna said in a hushed tone as she rushed through from the kitchen to hug me. "Are you hungry?"

"I'm actually feeling a little sick, we had to dodge a pretty bad storm." I looked past Senna's shoulder as we hugged, expecting Korra to appear behind her. "Is Korra still up?"

Senna pulled away. "She fell asleep about an hour ago. I can go wake her if you want to say hello, I'm sure she wouldn't mind."

"No," my stomach sank as I declined the offer. "I'd hate to disturb her when she's had so much trouble sleeping lately."

"It's been difficult. You'd think with everything her body is going through she would be exhausted by the end of the day," Tonraq said, "but she just can't seem to get a good night's sleep."

"It's a good sign that she managed to fall asleep so quickly tonight, usually she's up until well past midnight," she said.

"Progress is progress, no matter how small." I added.

"I really hope so. Follow me, I'll show you to your room. You must be exhausted after your journey," Senna said as she led me through the kitchen and past a table and chairs that looked out of place in a Southern Water Tribe home, where most people sat on cushions on the floor. It didn't help that there was one chair missing.

There were portraits of Korra and her parents, some just of her, and newspaper clippings scattered around the frames. Headlines about her pro-bending matches, about her defeating Amon and restoring his victims' bending, about her victory against Unaloq and Vaatu, but none about defeating the Red Lotus. Not even anything about restoring the Air Nation and saving the Airbenders. Despite all the good she had just done, none of it was on display.

I followed Senna around the corner and into a darkened hallway, all the way to the room next to Korra's. "You make yourself at home, sweetheart," Senna said, opening the door into my room. "There's a fireplace if you get cold, don't hesitate to use it."