One

The peel of the school bell was the only sound loud enough to pierce Claire's never ending train of thought, a feat that her best friend Ashley had yet to accomplish. For the last twenty minutes she had been prattling on about something that Claire had absolutely no interest in. The only thought that had been occupying her thoughts was the Biology test that Mr. Dunlar had given them warning for. For the last week the class had been studying animal conservation, and now it was time to pay the piper. Mr. Dunlar was known for his tests.

       "So it starts at 8 O'Clock, are you in or not?" Ashley asked as she shoved the last of her text books into her already crammed locker. Claire shook her head to free herself of the last trailing thoughts the occupied her attention.

       "Huh, what? I'm sorry Ash I think I zoned out a little bit. What were you saying?" Claire asked as she tossed her overloaded backpack over her shoulder sagging a little from the weight. Ashley groaned loudly as she thumped her head firmly against the cool metal of her locker.

       "What Ashley is trying to oh so eloquently ask is, if you would like to come watch my band play tonight?" A well muscled arm came to rest on Claire's shoulder. Looking up she was greeted with her friend Mitchell's smiling face.

     Mitchell was one of the most sought after boys at Mission High School. With his charming smile and his striking good looks it was no wonder the girls flocked after him. However what really drew peoples attention to him was his skill on the basketball court. With his towering 6'0 frame and finely chisled muscels he was a force to be reckoned with on or off he court.

   How Claire had managed to catch the attention of the schools heart throb was still a mystery to her. With her own average 5'7 height and slightly heavier build, Claire wasn't exactly what many people would consider a heartbreaker. In fact the only thing about herself Claire would admit to liking was her eyes. Each new day brought a new set of shifting hues.

        "Sure, I told you I'd come and see you when you set up a time and a place." Claire wrapped her own arm around Mitch's waist making Ashley giggle. Ashley had been preaching to Claire from day one that her and Mitchell made a cute couple. Claire still maintained her option that her friend was in fact clinically insane.

        "Great then I'll see you to night at the old Labierty at 8 O'Clock." Mitch gently squeezed her around the shoulders in a one armed hug before disappearing into the crowded hallway.

       "Did he just say the old Labierty house? I thought that place was condemned and private property." Claire stuttered nervously as she stared at the retreating figure of her friend as he vanished into he swarming mass of bodies.

       "Yep, you got it sister and you just agreed so no backing out now! Your parents are out of town right? So there should be no problem with u trying to sneak out tonight!" Ashley's eyes were alight with her barely contained excitement as she slung her bag over her shoulder. "I'll pick you up at 7:30 so be sure to dress hot!"

       Claire heaved a sigh as her friend headed off to the parking lot, turning her share of heads as she went. Ashley stood barely 5'5 and was the living embodiment of the old saying big things come in small packages. Her long bleach blonde hair only served to make her ice blue eyes all the more intense. Her hour glass figure by itself would turn any boys head as the girls had found out by the sixth grade.

     Claire adjusted the weight of her bag before setting off for home. If Ashley was picking her up at 7:30 that only left her a few hoiuyrs in which to get ready for the concert and she had no clue what she was even going to wear. Thankfully she lived near enough to the school that she did not have to waste much of the time on her walk home which left her plenty of time to get ready.