Chapter 1- Prologue

[Y/N]'s POV

You sighed as you locked your apartment door and headed down the stairs of the complex, beginning to go to work. The year was 2014, and you had recently gotten a solid, salary-paid job. You were terribly glad for that, considering that most of your life you had only succeeded in working for restaurants and donating blood for money.

As you walked down the street, people you knew shouted your name.

"[Y/N]! Hey!"

You turned and smiled at an old college friend who just so happened to live on the same street as you. You waved as they zoomed by on their skateboard, no doubtedly enjoying the fresh air.

You let out a deep breath. For once in your life, you knew exactly what to expect.

You were about a block away from your workplace when you felt someone tap your shoulder.

"Excuse me, miss,"

You turned, coming face to face with a man you didn't recognize. He wore jeans and a t-shirt, as most people did, and he had brunette hair that had been combed neatly to the side.

"Can I help you?" you asked quickly, instinctively reaching into your pockets to make sure you still had your belongings and to make sure that nobody had stolen them. When you found that you still had your phone and wallet, you gave a silent sigh of relief.

"Er, yes. I was hoping you could help me find my way," said the man.

Something in your head started screaming at you. Danger! Danger! Danger!

Though the place you now lived was a small town, you'd learned quite a bit from growing up in New York City. Like how when someone asks you to help them, they're most likely trying to lure you into their car and kidnap you or steal your belongings.

"N-no, I'm sorry, but I have to get to work," you said, starting to walk away again.

"Oh, my bad, I'm sorry for disrupting you, miss," he said.

"You're fine," you assured him. "See you around,"

"Yes, of course,"

You turned, quickening your pace to get to the building before he could change his mind.

You were just about to reach the building when someone grabbed you from behind. They covered your mouth with one hand and hugged your waist with the other, dragging you somewhere.

You fought and kicked and tried to scream, but to no avail. Glancing around wildly, you realized that whoever had grabbed you was pulling you into an alleyway. Soon, nobody would be able to see you and certainly, nobody would risk coming to save you.

You thrashed against the person's grip, but they held you fast, dragging you further into the dark alleyway. 

"Stop struggling," hissed a voice in your ear. "I do not intend to hurt you, dear,"

This only made you pull harder against their grip, trying to free your hands and arms from underneath theirs. Since their grip was loosening, you finally managed to shove them away and slip out from their captivity.

You turned to run away but quickly realized that the entrance they'd used had become a large brick wall.

What?

Slowly, you turned to face your would-be kidnapper.

It was that young man who'd asked you for help, except his figures were changing drastically. His brunette hair was becoming black and the hairstyle was changing. Their height lifted a bit, and instead of jeans and a t-shirt, they were wearing some ridiculous outfit that you'd never seen in your whole life.

Well, that was a lie. You'd seen outfits like it... but you hadn't seen those in... what... 6 years?

You backed away as they began to approach you.

"My, my, aren't you a fighter," he said, beginning to grin. "And you're strong, too. Who'd have thought that your kind of strength would come from that mortal form?"

Who does he think he is? you thought to yourself angrily. He must be delusional. That would explain a lot. Like why he tried to kidnap me and why he's calling me a 'mortal'.

You tried your best to shove down the urge to use a knockback spell on him as he neared you. You'd promised yourself that you'd only use magic in times of need. You backed up further, but your heels were getting closer and closer to the wall.

"What do you want?!" you snarled, curling your hands into fists.

The man laughed at you. "What do I want? That is none of your concern,"

The man's hands ignited. Yes, they ignited. A green flame overwhelmed his whole hand. He grinned at you, watching for your reaction.

Alright. He's not a human, you noted. Magic is now allowed.

Without a second thought, you used a knockback spell on him, sending him sprawling backward. Afterward, you conjured a shield in front of yourself. It was a clear gold color and held thin, white floral designs all over it.

The man sat up from where he'd landed, examining the shield with a whole new curiosity in his eyes.

"You aren't even a human, are you?" he asked softly, getting to his feet. "How curious,"

"You know, I'd love to continue this conversation," you snapped, "But how about you get rid of this stupid wall so I can get out of here and explain to my boss why I was late to work?"

The man touched one ignited hand to your shield, holding eye contact with you. You suddenly felt it- a pull at your strength, your legs beginning to give out as he broke down the shield and your focus. You tried to pull your eyes away from him, but his gaze was locking yours in place.

With a loud shattering sound, the shield you created disappeared, and the man resumed approaching you. You stumbled, trying to regain energy, though the world was starting to spin and blur around the edges. What was happening?

"Oh, you won't need to explain anything to your boss," the man said airily. "You'll be coming with me,"

You tried to remain standing, but your head was becoming terribly heavy... and the world was making you dizzy... and your eyes were so weighed, you just wanted to close them...

The blur around your peripheral vision crept towards the center of your line of vision, and soon, there was nothing but darkness.