Some Days It's Going To Rain - Make Sure You're Dressed For The Weather

A/N - quick thank you to Bethieeboop who voted for my story! You are the best! 

My head lifted off of the satin pillow below me. I could feel the crust peeling away from my eyes as I opened them to the afternoon sun peeking through my window and telling me good morning. And yet, it didn't feel like it was. Pain pounded in my head - matching the beat of my heart. The pulse quickened when the memories of yesterday flashed through my mind.

Kinnick locking me in his truck. All of the blood. The shouting.

I knew the only way I was saving Kinnick from murder charges was by calling my dad. No one could have stopped him. For the first time, I looked at the tattooed fighter and felt a shiver chill my body. Then I understood why people feared him as I looked at his fists, covered in blood, and the wicked smile on his face. For the first time, I saw the Kinnick Carson everyone talked about.

The myths were real. He enjoyed hurting people. In fact, he got a certain kind of pleasure seeing Warren crumble beneath him. I watched as the green-eyed-monster became a scared little boy. He realized he was no longer the scariest thing lurking in the dark. I watched as he bowed at the feet of a man I've come to adore. And it should have felt good watching Warren get hurt, but it didn't because I hate seeing people in pain, even when they haven't shown me mercy.

Chrissy listens to the police scanner. It didn't take her long to call me. She tried convincing me to stay home, but I found myself wandering the halls at school. My shoes scruffed the floor, leaving black marks on the ground wherever I walked. As much as I tried telling my dad how badly I needed to attend school, I didn't know how to go to class.

John wanted to know what happened. Miles was blowing up my phone. I didn't know how to tell them it was my fault. I wasn't sure how to explain to John his boxer might have to forfeit his match. He wouldn't forgive me for being the reason his undefeated boxer lost for the first time without stepping into the ring.

I tried convincing myself I did the right thing. I had trouble falling asleep last night, but it wasn't like I was sleeping beauty. I found it difficult to sleep every night. Then four in the morning hit, and those thoughts kept running through my mind, reminding me how many mistakes I've made became a little easier to bear.

During the eight hours I've spent in the library, I fell asleep for at least four of them. I sat in our seats, looking at the Cathedral window. The stained-glass sprinkled rainbows along the spines of books. Something about sitting here told me everything was going to be okay. And I wanted to believe it.

"Bo!"

My head shot up from my book. The librarian shushed Chrissy as she rounded the corner. Her wide eyes were the first thing I noticed. She slammed her hands on the table, trying to catch her breath as her chest heaved.

"What are you making such a commotion about?"

She panted. "They're trying to make him serve two-years!"

"Who?" I looked at the students around me who were trying to study - peacefully. "Will you spit it out, already?"

"Kinnick," she choked. "They are trying to give him two years. You can't let that happen."

I felt my heart drop, but I didn't know what to do. Convincing the judge to let Kinnick off would be impossible. I was a witness - there is nothing I could do to convince them Kinnick was innocent. He wasn't, though. And Warren deserved every ounce of pain he felt. How do I tell a judge that?

"Tell Warren not to testify."

"Chrissy -"

"Seriously, Bo," she frowns. "He defended you."