Five years have passed... Since Edelgard was revealed as the Flame Emperor, Dimitri still wants her head. Byleth watched him for a moment, "We will defeat her Dimitri" she sighed "But we must be sure not to lose ourselves in the process" she said softly.

Something flashes in Dimitri's face for a moment, sadness? Remorse maybe? Byleth isn't certain, all she knows it's there one moment then gone in a flash. "We must stop this cycle of the strong trampling the weak Byleth" Dimitri says sternly "She has to pay for what she has done".

"I agree" Byleth said with a nod, "But how do you expect to kill her if you die before you get the chance?" she questioned then sighed "Sorry, I know you wish to avenge them Dimitri..." Byleth murmured "I just wish that you care for yourself as well, those who seek revenge often find little consolation once it's over Dimitri" she said softly "It would do you well to remember that" she concluded.

Dimitri's eyebrows furrowed, "You think I should just let her live? After everything she has done?" he questioned "My Father, your Father, Glenn, and everyone that died in Duscur... I owe it to them" he said sternly.

Byleth frowned, "I didn't say you have to let her live Dimitri" she sighed "I'm just saying maybe temper down your pursuit of revenge" she said softly then shook her head "Edelgard will get what she deserves for what she has done" she said then paused for a moment, "We... We don't need to sink to her level of depravity".

Dimitri was silent, "I see" he murmured then sighed "We'll discuss this more later, for now... I'm just glad you have come back to me" he added softly.

Byleth knew he was diverting from the issue, but... She couldn't bring herself to argue it any further either.

"I'm glad as well," she replied.

...

Byleth had not anticipated this in the slightest.

When she imagined returning to Dimitri... She honestly had expected his hatred, Byleth had not even prepared in the slightest that he might have a positive reaction to her return.

It caught her off guard completely.

The other Blue Lions were each in their own respective territories is what Dimitri had told her. Except Dedue of course, he remained by the Prince's side all these years. Byleth was grateful to him for that fact.

Byleth thanked him at the first chance and Dedue simply waved her off, saying that her praise was unnecessary.

Regardless she was still appreciative of him for that.

From what she gathered... Things in the Kingdom weren't all that great. Dealing with not only Rufus, but Cornelia seemed like a daunting task, and had Dimitri endured it alone... Well, she worried what he could have become.

But it doesn't matter she supposed.

"Byleth?" Dimitri called out and nudged her arm slightly.

She leaned over and looked at him, "Hm, Yes?" Byleth replied.

"Sorry I thought you'd fallen asleep" Dimitri murmured.

Byleth chuckled softly then shook her head, "No, I am listening" she replied then straightened up in her chair "I've been gone for so long... The least I can do is pay attention to what you are telling me" she sighed.

Dimitri had taken it upon himself to fill in the gaps caused by the past five years. And well... To also help her brush up on her knowledge of Faerghus. It wouldn't do for her to be completely ignorant on the needs of the people.

The Prince watched her for a moment then shut the book, "We can pick this up again tomorrow" he replied.

"Dimitri, I can handle it" she sighed.

Dimitri nodded his head, "I don't doubt that" he replied "But... I don't want all the time I spend with you to be boring you with this" he added.

Oh.

Byleth grabbed his hand, "It doesn't matter what we do Dimitri" she replied "I'm not going anywhere, I promise" she said softly.

Dimitri was silent for a moment then sighed, "Byleth... You won't leave again, right?" he murmured.

"I won't" Byleth replied then paused for a moment, "In all honesty... I didn't expect you to react this way" she said softly.

The Prince tilted his head slightly, "You thought I would be upset?" he asked, and Byleth nodded in response. Dimitri was silent for a moment then sighed, "I'll admit I was for a bit when I first learned of all of this" he began "But you don't look to have aged a day... So perhaps it was by the will of the goddess" he suggested then shook his head, "In any case it's apparent that you had no say in it" he said "I can hardly fault you for that" he concluded.

Still...

If she had just gone to Faerghus like Grandmother ordered... Neither of them would have been in this mess. "Regardless, I'm sorry Dimitri" Byleth murmured "I should have been smarter..." she sighed.

"You did what you thought was right" Dimitri replied "Had you gone to Faerghus rather than fight for you home... Would have you been able to forgive yourself?" he asked.

No.

She wouldn't have. But... "Had I died... Would you have forgiven yourself?" Byleth rebutted. His silence spoke volumes. "I only thought of myself when I left Dimitri. The possibility that I wouldn't come back didn't even cross my mind once" she sighed "I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have done this to you" she said softly.

Dimitri's gaze was glued to the table, "We can't change the past Byleth" he replied.

Yeah. She knows that.

"I know..." Byleth sighed then paused for a moment "In all honesty I um... Thought you might have moved on" she murmured.

A hearty laugh came from the Prince, "Byleth... I didn't think that you were dead" he replied "I assumed that you had been taken by the Empire" he added.

Right.

He had mentioned that before.

"You waited for me?" Byleth asked in a quiet voice.

A steady red flush fell over Dimitri's cheeks, "Of course" he replied.

Oh.

Heat rushed to her face and Byleth quickly stood up from her chair, "I... I should get going" Byleth began "I think you might be right. This is too much studying for today" she concluded.

There was an amused look on Dimitri's face, "Alright, have a good night Byleth" he replied.

"Good night Dimitri" she said with a curt nod then left from the Library to her quarters.

Goddess...

Byleth... didn't deserve his kindness.