╰➢ the marauder's tale

Start from the beginning

"She's just like you, Atlas." Sirus giggled, but Nicole just held her wand threateningly at him.

"Nicole put the wand down—"

"NO!"

Sirus was about to reach for Scabbers again, and as Nicole was about to kick him one more time Lupin pulled him away.

"Sirius, NO!" Lupin yelled, launching himself forwards and dragging Black away from Ron again, "WAIT! You can't do it just like that — they need to understand — we've got to explain. They've got a right to know everything!" Lupin panted, still trying to restrain Black.

"Ron's kept him as a pet! There are parts of it even I don't understand, and Harry — you owe Harry the truth, Sirius! And so does Nicole and Aurora, they don't know anything about their father!"

"Fine!" Sirus yelled. "But make it quick, Remus!"

"I will." Lupin hissed, before looking at Harry.

"I as a very small boy when I received the bite. My parents tried everything, but in those days there was no cure. The potion that Professor Snape has been making for me is a very recent discovery. It makes me safe, you see. As long as I take it in the week, preceding the full moon, I keep my mind when I transform... I'm able to curl up in my office, a harmless wolf, and wait for the moon to wane again."

"No other schools were willing to accept me as a kid. But then Dumbledore became Headmaster, and he was sympathetic. He said that as long as we took certain precautions, there was no reason I shouldn't come to school..." Lupin sighed, and looked directly at Harry. "I told you, months ago, that the Whomping Willow was planted the year I came to Hogwarts. The truth is that it was planted because I came to Hogwarts. This house" — Lupin looked miserably around the room, — "the tunnel that leads to it — they were built for my use. Once a month, I was smuggled out of the castle, into this place, to transform. The tree was placed at the tunnel mouth to stop anyone coming across me while I was dangerous."

Nicole didn't know what point he was getting to.

"But apart from my transformations, I was happier than I had ever been in my life. For the first time ever, I had friends, four great friends. Sirius Black... Peter Pettigrew... and, of course, your father, Harry — James Potter. And your father, Nicole and Aurora— Atlas Hwang."

Their father smiled cheekily.

"When they found out.. I thought they would dessert me. Instead, they did something for me that would make my transformations not only bearable, but the best times of my life. They became Animagi."

"That's why you became a crow?" Nicole asked her father.

"Yes, Nic." he paused. "But I'm not a crow, I'm a raven."

"Every month my friends would come into the shack with me and watch me transform—"

"But that's dangerous!" Aurora exclaimed. "You weren't of age!"

"A thought that still haunts me," said Lupin heavily. "And there were near misses, many of them. We laughed about them afterwards. We were young, thoughtless — carried away with our own cleverness. That's why we created the Marauders map, that's until Snape found out about us."

"Snape?" said Black harshly, taking his eyes off Scabbers; for the first time in minutes and looking up at Lupin. "What's Snape got to do with it?"

"He's here, Sirius," said Lupin heavily. "He's teaching here as well." He looked up at the students, who all looked equally horrified.

"Your mother, she was friends with Snape." Sirus pointed to Nicole and Aurora. "Always beside him.. plotting.."

"Hey, that's my wife your talking about!" Atlas exclaimed, while the twins only looked at their father in surprise. Their mother... and Professor Snape? Friends? How?