Season 9

Herb has funny moments with the Harper Brothers, and Berta has also taken a shine on him. In the end, they come to help Jake get out of his situation and convince him that although there will always be competition, he just has to commit to what he wants and work hard. Charlie gave off a sarcastic comment as always. Jake uplifts himself, but to get better he starts cooking anything that comes to his mind. Some dishes were not liked by Charlie.

Alan and Charlie come to a decision on how to deal with their mother. After going to a few more sessions, the family decides to have a heart to heart moment that will change everything. Evelyn has been feeling more down than ever and goes forward with apologizing to her sons. Alan openly welcomes this newfound epiphany but Charlie leaves upset and betrayed.

Alan's financial situation has been getting better with his business peaking more than ever thanks to advertisements and a little help from Herb. As a result, he has been offering to pay off expenses. Also, his relationship with Frankie had its awkward moments but the two ultimately decide to pursue a real relationship. Frankie's daughter, Joanie, still annoys Jake, but the two start to accept each other.

Meanwhile, Judith's mental illness is getting worse, and to make herself feel better she keeps wasting and demanding more and more of Alan's alimony. He decides to lawyer up against this obscure attitude.

The season ends with Evelyn coming to Charlie's house at night. The two confess their deepest fears and emotions regarding their relationship, and finally, decide to forgive each other. After this, Charlie decides to do the unthinkable and goes to Chelsea's apartment to win her back.