Chapter Two - Nesting

After about two years or so of living with a Pro Hero, the second rank Winged Hero Hawks no less, it proved to be a somewhat a wonderful life. Not because of his status or his looks or what he could offer materially, no. Simply because the love shared between the two of you was warm, constantly kindled like a fire in the dead of winter, rarely allowed to dwindle low but sometimes it was stoked so it blazed beyond the suns output.

There was also just the perfect amount of knowing and not knowing with him, he wasn't entirely secretive and you were content with that- like knowing his bird like tendencies that mixed into everyday life but not knowing about the deep cuts on his body at midnight when he came home.

While it wasn't that comforting not knowing anything about those, the trust you shared made up for that.

The trust in him made up for it entirely, you trusted him with your life and more. You trusted him to know best, you didn't need to know absolutely everything, he could have his secrets as long as he promised he'd come to you if he needed any help or just a shoulder to lean on. It was refreshing too, to know you knew who he mostly was and yet, learned more each day.

Which is why today, after a long afternoon out running minor errands, you can home to a bit of a surprise.

It wasn't unpleasant, not at all, it was admittedly quite.. endearing and cute, really! Entirely new to you and something absolutely wonderful at that.

Hawks had the day off as well, it was something you two planned for every so often to spend time together other than briefly at night and morning. The time together was treasured, plus two heads were better than one when it comes to the combined chores. He slept in today(you let him, he looked beyond exhausted and something akin to a drenched rat the night prior) and you took care of the errands today so he didn't need to worry. It wasn't anything too bad anyways, just a few groceries and light bulbs to replace the one he hit with a pillow on his other day off.

That was a story for another day or never again, because pillow fights were soon banned- you warned him prior, but stupid chicken man. He still pleads his innocence but he is the opposite of innocent.

His puppy eyes and adorable, stupid pout can't get him out of jail for that. He'd been warned.

Once everything was put away in its respective location in the kitchen, reusable bags set aside, you went looking for said stupid chicken man. With most the lights still off until you'd gotten home, not to mention how quiet the apartment was, it was obvious where he was. Or rather, probably was still. You headed down the hall way, checking in the bedroom first and finding him immediately.

The sight that greeted you was.. downright adorable.

He was still on the bed as expected but in a position completely unlike how he was when you left, the blankets and pillows of the bed in a familiar circular shape. It was supposed to be a birds nest, constructed of all the blankets, pillows, comforters and a few sweaters the two of you liked but never really wore. His large wings hung over the sides of the blanket nest, fully outstretched across the width of the bed, his face buried in the wall in front of him.

His head was tilted ever so slightly to the side, cheek smushed against his forearm and eyes closed as he snored softly, looking as peaceful as ever. You couldn't help it but wrangle your phone from your pocket in a hurry and quietly snap a picture of your dorky bird man in his nest.

Your lock screen picture is definitely this picture forever. It's already done, it's changed, no one, not even the gods can take that from you. And Hawks can pry it from your cold dead hands when he found out.