041

"Found anything good yet?" I ask Dean sitting across from me at the table.

"Think so. What do you think of this one, fishing trawler found off the coast of Cali. It's crew vanished." Dean looks up at me. I click my tongue as I tilt my head to the side.

"Eh, I don't know. California's pretty far from here, don't ya think? I found some cattle mutilations in West Texas that seem promising. It's closer too." I tell him. He bobs his head side to side as if thinking about my point.

"What you thinking, Sam?" Dean asks, not being able to decide. I look over at Sam on the bed when he doesn't answer, just continues to sketch something on the hotel notepad. "Hey!" Dean tries again. Sam looks over at us this time, eyes wide like a lost puppy. I couldn't help but chuckle.

"Aw, Sammy." I gush, getting up to only plop myself on the bed next to him. "You're adorable." I grin as I pinch his cheek. He gives me a small pout making me coo again.

"Seriously?" Dean asks, throwing his hands up.

"What? I'm listening." I smile at him cheekily. He sighs, running a hand over his face.

"Are we boring you with this hunting evil stuff?" He aims the question towards his brother.

"No, I'm listening. Keep going." Sam said, going back to drawing what looks like a tree.

"Mhm." I hum knowingly. He didn't hear a word we said, that's for sure. Dean waits a moment before continuing.

"There's one where a Sacramento man shot himself in the head...three times." Dean emphasizes by raising three of his fingers. I give him an amused look as he waves to grab Sam's attention. "Any of these things blowing up your skirt, pal?" He asks. I look up at Sam then at the notepad that he's flipping through. Page after page of the same tree is sketched onto them.

"What's with all the trees? You the Lorax or somethin'?" I question.

"Wait, I've seen this." Sam says, ignoring me.

"Seen what?" Dean asks. Instead of answering, Sam gets up and walks over towards his bag.

"Sam?" I furrow my brows, sitting up. He hastily grabs for his father's journal.

"What are you doing?" Dean asks. Still not answering us, Sam opens up the journal on the bed by my feet. After a second of him fumbling through it he pulls out a picture, holding it and the notepad side by side.

"Guys, I know where we have to go next." Sam finally says, looking between the both of us. I raise a questioning brow.

"And where's that, hm?" I hum, crossing my arms as I lean my head against the headboard.

"Back home. Back to Kansas." My arms fall and I sit up as straight as a board.

"What?"

"Okay, random. Where'd that come from?" Dean scoffs.

"Alright, um..." Sam brings the photo over toward Dean and sets it in front of him.

"This photo was taken in front of our old house, right? The house where mom died?" Sam asks. I get off the bed and stand next to Dean, looking down at the picture. John, Mary, and Dean were smiling happily in the picture with a baby Sam in Mary's arms. I smile.

"Yeah." Dean answers skeptically.

"And it didn't burn down, right? I mean, not completely. They rebuilt it, right?" Sam continues firing questions.