Charlotte looked at her stomach, blushing red and laughing lightly. "I guess I'm really hungry?"

Matthew spoke through a grin, "I think so. Do you want to go get something?"

"But, it's 1 AM?" Charlotte spoke, though her voice fluctuated into a questioning tone.

He stuck his hands in his pockets and hunched his shoulders. "So? Have you never gone on an In N Out run at 1 AM?"

"No, I have," she crossed her arms, "when I was 17."

Matthew pushed off of the counter he was leaning on and grabbed his keys. "Time to relive memories, then."

Charlotte couldn't stop smiling as she slipped into her shoes and followed him out the door. She was in leggings, her pink slippers, and knotted t-shirt, underestimating just how cold it was at night.

Matthew held open the passenger side door for her and noticed her shiver as she got in. He crossed to his side of the car, but got into the back seat for something before joining her up front.

"Here," he said, voice soft against the landscape of the late night adventure.

Charlotte took his outstretched hoodie from his clutch. She slipped it on then buckled. "Thank you."

Matthew pulled the car out of the driveway and started towards In N Out. "No worries. Do you wanna put on music?"

She nodded, plugging her phone in. "Any requests?"

Matthew thought and said, "Do you follow my Spotify?"

"No, but I can," she awaited for his username and he told her. He instructed her to go to his "car tunes." She shuffled it and Stand By Me by Ben E. King started playing. "Oh, of course."

Matthew chuckled, dumbfounded. "What?"

She snickered as her shoulders wriggled a bit, "Just, of course you listen to 60s music. That just fits you."

"I guess I just have a bit of an old soul," he steered with one hand- which was hot- and the other moved through the air as he spoke.

Charlotte rested her hand upon the center consol, the other holding onto her phone. Their shoulders brushed, the air was daring someone to grab the others hand.

Instead, Matthew set his hand atop of hers. He wriggled his fingers between hers. Then, he stuck a pinky finger between their palms, laughing when Charlotte cringed and tugged away.

"Yet you act like you're 12 years old sometimes," she grabbed his hand and pulled it into her lap firmly. "Don't you dare, or I'll crash the car."

Matthew's fingers fell limp in hers. "Oh, whatever. You're no fun."

Charlotte laughed. They reached the restaurant after light banter and three more songs. Matthew went through the drive thru. It was nearly 2 AM, considering the traffic and the time they left.

Charlotte held the bag of their food in her lap as Matthew pulled out of the parking lot and back into the street. "Where are we going?"

"Somewhere," he responded. Eventually, they stopped in another parking lot, but this one was facing the beach.

"Oh, how romantic," Charlotte giggled through her words.

Matthew shut off the car, throwing on the overhead lights. "You're very welcome."

As Charlotte unloaded the food, her mind had a peaceful moment to process what in the actual hell was happening.

Did she have a boyfriend?

Maybe he didn't want to label it, and if they were 'dating' they'd only been on 1 'date'. And it was with all of his friends. They'd hung out and talked on the phone pretty much everyday. But, CeCe always said that three official dates was the checklist for becoming official.

Did it really matter?

Charlotte calmed her mind by taking a bite of her cheeseburger. She chewed as quietly as possible, her insecurities settling back in. Matthew sighed through a clump of fries, glancing at her.

"So, I was thinking," he paused, took a drink of his milkshake, and continued, "what do you say we go on an official date?"

Charlotte was astounded everytime this man opened his mouth. It was like he knew exactly what she was thinking. Charlotte swallowed and said, "What do you mean official?"

Matthew shrugged, "I mean, we've kind of been on 2 or 3, but I slacked. I brought you to a bar, with all of my friends. Then, I showed up at your house, awkward with flowers, and now, we're eating In N Out at 2 AM."

Charlotte laughed loudly at his ramblings. "So, what's an official date, in your eyes. Walk me through it."

"Okay, so," Matthew twisted in his seat to look at her properly, "I come pick you up at 6 PM, you open the door in a pretty dress, looking pretty. I'm looking awful in jeans and a nice shirt because I don't know how to dress. I awkwardly lead you to my car, we go to dinner. Then, I take you home, kiss you at the door, and leave you staring dreamily at my receding car."

By the time he was done, Charlotte was gasping for air because she was laughing so hard. Matthew joined her, clutching his cheese burger and pressing a palm to his chest.

"Oh, my God," Charlotte breathed deeply, "amazing wording."

Once they calmed down, Charlotte looked him dead in the eye with a smile, "I would love to."

"Great. How does Friday sound?"

"Perfect."