I raised my gaze and met hers. I wiped a tear from my eye and looked at her. "I'm Joanna," I said. "But call me Jo." I took a deep breath and continued, "Why are you doing this, Kat? Why pay for a stranger's drink and listen to their woes? What's in it for you? Are you going to rob me later?"

She laughed that bright laugh of hers again. Like butterflies dancing on flowers. "No, Jo, I'm not going to rob you," she said gently. "To be perfectly honest, I don't know. I don't know what I'm doing or why. I don't usually do this; I just look from the sides.

"But something about you just made me want to help you. Perhaps it was because I sensed it was your first time doing this, and I wanted to prevent you from getting horribly drunk and possibly passing out somewhere, and things getting even worse from there. Look around, Jo. These men here wouldn't hesitate to take advantage of a drunk lady, at least someone as pretty as yourself. Some of them are here only because they wait for such an opportunity."

I almost missed it, but I'd never been told that I'm pretty by another woman. Or as I thought about it, not any men either-without some agenda. I suddenly thought about something, and before I managed to stop myself, the question escaped my lips. "Are you a lesbian?" I asked.

It was her turn to be surprised. She quickly turned her face and looked directly into my eyes and made a really confused 'huh?' sound. She furrowed her eyebrows and opened her mouth to say something, then closed it, licked her lips, and stared at me again, stunned. She blinked a couple of times.

"Alright, ...how?" she said. "I mean me figuring out that about you is something, but how did you figure that one out?"

"I'm so sorry!" I quickly blurt out. "I didn't mean to... I mean... what? You are?" I said. I blinked twice and wondered myself how I figured it out.

We stared at each other for an awkward minute or two.

"So... are you here for the same reason they are?" I asked and nodded towards the drunk guys.

She smiled at me and it somehow made me feel better. "No," she said, and shook her head. "No, I'm not. Not today. I mean, I'm never here to take advantage of anyone, but I am here to meet people from time to time. But not today. Nor in a while, actually," she said, and sounded somewhat sad.

I looked at her and there was definite regret in her eyes.

"So why are you here today, then?" I asked.

"Habit, I guess," she said and shrugged. "And to drown my sorrows; much like you. I just didn't plan to do it in one go after not having ever had a drink before."

I grinned sheepishly at her and shrugged. "I didn't actually plan to do any of this. I live nearby and I was heading home when suddenly getting drunk for the first time in my life sounded like a really good plan," I said.

"It isn't," she said, and looked at me with an expression that told me she had done the same and wasn't happy about the result.

I felt kinda sorry for her, for that.

"That's why I intervened with your plan."

I looked at my drink; only half of it remained. "This isn't a very strong drink, I take it?" I asked softly, trying not to sound or look too embarrassed.

"No," she said and laughed her wonderful laugh again. "No, it isn't. It's practically a soda with some alcohol added to it," she said and looked at me. "Good, though."

I nodded at her. It was tasty. We sat there, staring at each other in silence for a few minutes. I sipped my drink now and then and managed to finish it. I felt a bit lightheaded, but I don't think I was drunk. Surely not from one drink that wasn't even that strong? I felt my cheeks and ears getting slightly warm and I smiled at her.

"You're seriously a lightweight drinker, darling," she said, smiling. "You got drunk from one Blue Angel. That's seriously cute," she said and grinned at me.

I felt a buzzing in my head and my mind made some leaps I was uncomfortable with. I shook my head to clear my thoughts, but that was a serious mistake. Everything spun and I felt queasy. I tried getting up, but almost tripped and had to grab the table for support.

She stood up and caught me by my waist before I fell. "Whoa there, darling. Take it easy," she said and smiled. "You really got drunk from one! Oh, my. Can you walk, Jo?" she asked.

I nodded at her, not trusting myself to speak correctly.

She put my hand over her shoulder and supported me. It was a tiny bit hard since she was a head taller than me, but we managed to make it to the bar.

"Jake," she hollered to the bartender. "I'm taking her home. Could you put my bag behind the bar? I'll be back for it later."

The bartender nodded and walked towards the table we just sat at. She took me to the door, and we looked out at the weather. The wind had only picked up, and now rain and hail were joined by small stones and probably a dozen frogs.

"Oh, I forgot about that," I said and grimaced.

"Ah crap, it was that bad!?" she said, sounding defeated. "Fuck," she added, sounding more serious this time.

I looked at her and she was muttering something under her breath. "Well, I'll get you home and I'll worry about getting to mine later," she said for me to hear. "Whereabouts do you live?" she asked, turning to look at me. "You don't have to tell me the exact address, but I'll get you as close as you want to go."

I didn't know why, but for some reason I trusted her. I didn't feel threatened at all. She didn't seem like a person who'd murder me in my home or break in and steal everything later. Yeah, I know, that's what they always say. But somehow, I trusted her not to be one, and told her my complete address, down to the apartment number.

She looked at me with her eyebrow raised.

"Trusting," she said and smiled at me. "Let's go then, darling. Take a good gulp of air, hold your breath, and swim fast!" she said, and pulled me into the storm.

Awakenings: Joannaजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें