Chapter 2 - The Origin, Part 2

The weather was as cold as it was previously. The chilly wind pushed on Frisks back as they made their way to Grillby's. Luckily, sans and Papyrus live next to the place. Upon getting closer to the front door, Frisk noticed how sans had already taken a seat at the bar, even though he had left the house only mere seconds ago. Frisk couldn't comprehend why sans was always so fast when travelling places, but at that, that wasn't the only thing that concerned them.

Frisk entered the bar and headed towards the counter. They quickly noticed how none of the regular customers were around. Usually during the evening, the soldiers from the Royal Guard tend to have a drink after a long shift, but oddly enough, none of them were present. In fact, the bar was empty. Not a single customer was present, except for sans and themselve. Grillby was behind the counter, cleaning cups and glasses like usual, though.

Frisk took a seat next to sans. He struggled to get on his stool, but was able to climb on top eventually. Sans had a concerned look on his face. His hand, which was holding a new tube of ketchup, shook every once in a while. Frisk hadn't noticed. "You want anything?", asked the short skeleton with a shakiness in his voice. Frisk made a hand motion to show that he wasn't hungry. Papyrus' spaghetti 'sauce' made them lose their appetite. Sans nodded in understanding and stared blankly towards the wall. Frisk had not seen sans in such a depressed state before. It's as if he saw a ghost and couldn't get over the shock, which would be weird because he probably has already met Napstablook before. The empty space was filled only with the soft tune of Grillby's radio. The eery calmness of the bar made Frisk's spine shiver. It felt more empty than being lost outside Snowdin.

Sans let out a long sigh. He took a big sip from his bottle of ketchup and placed the already half empty bottle back on the counter. Frisk couldn't help but feel worried. It's not always that sans suddenly stops making puns and acts quietly. Sans opens his mouth, as if wanting to tell something. He hesitates for a minute, as Frisk watches him quietly. Sans had not looked towards Frisk this entire time. Finally, his words came out: "ya know, kid, the thing is, i'm not sure why i wanted to explain this to you, but i feel like it's important you know. i keep getting this feeling that something will go wrong soon, and i'd feel bad for you if you didn't get what was happening". Frisk kept his sight locked towards sans. They nodded lightly, still maintaining their attention to his words. "it's not something anybody can know. not even papyrus would know the full story of what i'm about to tell you. could you do me a favor and keep it for yourself? i don't want to cause any unnecessary worry to anybody". Frisk nods, noticing that sans had still not faced away from the wall they were staring at.

"You remember what was told to you about the old Royal Scientist, right? The one before Alphys". Frisk thought about those words. They recalled someone mentioning something about the old Royal Scientist and how they created the CORE. "The old Royal Scientist. He was called Gaster. Very interesting person. The people of the Underground celebrated his genius, almost as if he was a second king to them. His intelligence and knowledge was unrivaled and far exceeded that of any person. Alphys doesn't even begin to compare to what he used to be. He was always very deepened within his work. His fascination for technological advancement was like no other. He would work day and night, researching every aspect of his projects until completion. However, as much as the people adored him and his work, they never quite understood him. He was very reserved and it was nearly impossible to know what he was thinking. You could almost say he was a big question mark for everyone, yet nobody was bothered by it because of his limitless genius. One result of this was the CORE. He created a limitless energy source for the entire Underground, all from his own head. No one could neglected his genius, for the simple reason that the every thing that defines his genius, is also what defined our daily life. He truly changed life in the Underground all by himself.

*That's all I have so far I'm too lazy lmao*