chapter seventy three.

Start from the beginning

"You look like supergirl," Enola teased, reaching forward to freeze frame the video with a large smile. "Look—this year's Christmas card."

"Being a vampire is so weird," Elena stretched her arms above her head. "Oh my god. I love this bathtub. Why don't we come and hang out here more often?"

"I'll tell you why. Cooties. Think of all the germ-ridden skanks that Damon has lured into his den of iniquity." Caroline clipped, creating a very tense atmosphere once again. "Okay. I'm sorry. I've been good all night. I am stopping now."

"No. Don't stop on my account. Rip away." Elena scoffed sarcastically. "I mean, it's only Damon, right?"

"Well, say what you want about ripper Stefan, but at least he wasn't a man slut." Caroline reminded.

"So what exactly was it about him that made you jump into bed with him as soon as you met him?" Elena shot back.

"Maybe the fact that he was compelling her," Enola cut in matter of factly.

"Then what is your excuse?" Elena spat. "You slept with him too."

"Yeah, because I was sad and lonely." Enola argued. "You're not sad and lonely, are you?"

"And what if I am?" Elena growled. "What if I was."

"No," Enola sighed at the realization.

"Please tell me you are joking," Caroline pleaded.

"You didn't," Bonnie begged.

"Yeah. I did." Elena confirmed, immediately earning looks of judgment from everyone in the room. "I know you guys have issues with him, but I am happy and I wanted to spend tonight with all of you so that I could tell you all about it." She rose from the bathtub, storming out of the room and into the hallway as they trailed behind towards the front door. "Party is over. You guys need to leave."

"Come on, Lena." Enola sighed.

"Don't be mad," Caroline continued.

"We're just looking out for you." Bonnie said.

"Do you think it makes me happy that you guys hate him? I get it. His track record has been kind of spotty, but I don't hate him. I can't." Elena announced. "I think I'm falling in love with him."

"You're not in love with him. You're sired to him." Caroline blurted.

"Caroline!" Enola gasped.

"Whoa," Bonnie breathed.

"What are you talking about?" Elena frowned in confusion.

"I'm sorry that it came out like that, but it's true!" Caroline swore.

"No," Elena shook her head in denial. "There is no way."

"Are you sure?" Bonnie pressed.

"Yeah," Caroline nodded. "Ask Enola. She was the one who figured it out thanks to Klaus."

"And you believe him?" Elena turned to her sister with a look of betrayal written across her face.

"It doesn't matter what I believe because you weren't even supposed to know," Enola huffed. "But it is not a surprise Caroline told you because she can't keep anything to herself."

"So sorry for being honest," Caroline scoffed. "Not everyone can be a liar like you."

"What have I ever lied about?" Enola glared.

"Your feelings for Klaus," Caroline reminded.

"You have feelings for Klaus?" Elena blinked.

"No," Enola shook her head. "You don't get to judge me."