𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝟏: 𝕯𝖎𝖘𝖆𝖌𝖗𝖊𝖊𝖒𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖘

Start from the beginning

He didn't seem to notice you approaching so when you tapped his shoulder to get his attention, he jumped a little in surprise at the sudden contact. "(y/n)," he said in a hushed tone.

'What are you doing?' You signed before he grabbed your hand and put his finger to his lip. You could hear two sets of breathing other than your own and Normans. One was erratic and the other calm and you instantly knew what their identities were. Emma and Mama.

"What's wrong, Emma?" Isabella asked. "You look pale. Which reminds me, you weren't so cheerful this morning." Next to you, Norman had his hand over his mouth, trying to quiet down his just-as-erratic breathing.

"That's not..." Emma said, trying to hide the panic in her voice. Norman's grip on your hand tightened as panic washed over his expression. You tried tugging on his sleeve to get his attention but he didn't seem to notice as panic overtook his thoughts.

She's checking my reaction. This is who Mama really is... Emma thought as Isabella's finger rested on her neck, taking her pulse. "It's nothing!" She said cheerfully. "I just got a little sad thinking that I'll leave the House soon too."
"Do you like it here at the House?" Isabella asked warmly. "I love the House and you, Mama!" Emma said, jumping into the woman's arms. "I wonder what Conny's doing right now." She broke the hug, smiling widely. "Conny said she wanted to be a mother like you when she grew up."

"Yes, I know," Isabella said. "I'm sure Conny will become a lovely adult and a good mother too."

Your hand hurt even more as Norman's grip on it tightened but you didn't show it. You understood what he was feeling right now. He was terrified of being found out and he was even more terrified of dying. Subconsciously, you squeezed Norman's hand back in reassurance, causing him to look at you. And then he seemed to realize that he was still holding your hand. "I-I'm so sorry, (y/n)," Norman apologized, releasing your hand. He frowned apologetically at you as you rubbed your hand. "D-Did I hurt you?"

You shook your head, giving a small smile in reassurance. 'I'm okay but what about you?' You signed, concerned.

"It's nothing," Norman answered, faking a smile. Honestly, who did he think he was fooling? You frowned at him, about to reply only to be interrupted by the sound of the dinner bell followed by Ray's voice. "Mama, the dinner preparations are ready," he said, the sound of childish laughter following after. "I'll be right there," Isabella said.

You felt a tug on your skirt, looking down to see Sherry's innocent blue eyes staring up at you. "(y/n), Norman, what are you doing?" She asked curiously.

You gave the girl a warm smile before bending down to pick her up. You dragged your finger across the girl's palm, causing her to giggle at the ticklish sensation. 'Little kids shouldn't be so nosy,' you wrote before tapping the girl's nose. "Okay!" Sherry said, nodding before turning to the boy next to you.

"Come on, (y/n), Norman! Let's go eat dinner!" Sherry said, looking between you two, her blue eyes shining brightly. "Yeah," Norman said, smiling back at the girl before you two walked out from around the corner. "Emma, let's go," Norman called out. "Okay!" Emma hummed in response before joining the two of you.

"Emma, Norman, did the two of you..." Isabella said, causing the said two to stop. "... go to the gate yesterday?"

"Gate? Aren't we not supposed to go to the gate?" Sherry asked innocently as you continued to walk down the stairs. 'Mama said this already, didn't she? It's dangerous to go to the gate,' you wrote on the girl's hands. 'You don't want to get in trouble, do you?'
"No!" Sherry said, shaking her head furiously. "I don't want Mama to get mad at me!" You smiled at the girl's firm rejection before placing her down at the last step. 'Good. Now let's go eat dinner. You're hungry, right?' You signed, ruffling the girl's hair. "Okay!" Sherry said, smiling brightly as she grabbed hold of your hand.