An apology and a kiss

After a few hours well spent chatting with Penelope, I return to the Bridgerton home. There is no event occurring tonight and so it is simply a case of staying at home. I have been told the funeral shall be within the next few days and so I am sure this trip shall be short lived. I most certainly wish to return to Aubrey hall as quickly as possible and it seems as though Benedict has thought the same.

"Peaches, may we speak-" Anthony begins but he is quickly interrupted again. Before it was by Colin but this time it is by Benedict, who sweeps me into his arms and kisses my forehead until I smile.

"And how is my wonderful wife? Clumsy as ever? Peaches, I cannot apologise enough for this morning. It was so unreasonable of me that I cannot truly believe it happened. I shall make no more excuses, I shall only... give gifts so that you may find it in your heart to forgive me." He pouts and I giggle in response to this, and so he lifts me from my feet and charges with me into the living room. "You are getting heavier by the day!"

"That is what happens when babies grow!" I put my feet up on the settee as he places multiple boxes of wrappes gifts on my legs. "Oh, Benedict. This was not at all needed. An apology and a kiss would have certainly sufficed."

"But you deserve more than an apology and a kiss. You deserve gifts and three to be exact."

"You are too much and you are too wonderful and I do not deserve such." I unwrap the first one to reveal a new sketchbook, together with the second gift of large accompaniment of coloured pencils. The ones I had at Aubrey hall were ones I had had since I was a girl and had always replacing. It is a thoughtful gift. The third, I am not sure at first what it is. A small box, and so I open it and it reveals a stunning ring. "Oh!"

"We did not have proper wedding rings, if you can recall that far back. We were forced to marry at Gretna green because of my wicked older brother and the sharp tongue of lady whistledown. I thought it only proper that I buy you something as gorgeous as yourself." He takes my hand and is gentle as he slides the ring onto my finger, sealing it with a kiss. "What does my wonderful wife think of that?"

"I think you are perfect, and so is all of this. I do not deserve gifts, it is you that deserves gifts... The funeral shall be within the next few days and then we may return home. We may return home and it shall only be the two of us again." I stroke his face gently as he continues to stay crouched in front of me. "I know you do not want to be here and we shall not stay a moment longer than we must."

"Peaches, I appreciate that. I do, I do not wish to be here, I absolutely do not wish to be here..." He frowns and kisses the back of my hand, sighing a little. "Everything is so much easier when it is just you and I in Aubrey hall. Life is simple and it is good and I am in love with it. I despise london and all the gossip and the people and... and everything that comes along with those people. Peaches, I must tell you something important-"

"Benedict, I trust you are not being as grumpy as you were this morning?" Eloise strolls into the room with Hyacinth and Gregory running along behind her, and suddenly the room is full of everyone. "I was quite shocked at you, actually. It was rather unkind to Peaches... ah, and he has bought you gifts to make up for it. As though Peaches' forgiveness can be simply purchased by a ring and a sketchbook, hm! You, dear brother, need a lesson in what women actually-"

"Eloise, it is honestly okay. It is honestly fine. Do not be silly. I shall never ever deny gifts, that is for certain!"  I giggle and hold out my ring and although Eloise is disapproving, she does look at it with a certain jealousy. "I-"

"Peaches. I should like to talk with you." Anthony reminds me, forcing a smile. I rise and he guides me gently into his office before he releases a loud sigh. "I do... I do not know how I am to tell you this. I do not know what I am to say. I know you shall be angry but I beg of you, do not direct such anger at me. Remember I am only the messenger."

"Oh?" I raise a gentle eyebrow, admiring the ring on my finger as I glance back up at him.

"I believe you should speak to Benedict. Of... how often he has been at the modiste. I do not think it to be simply for a dress fitting. I followed him and I have seen him going upstairs, Peaches. I... I believe there may be something more going on. I tried to suggest so to you earlier but... well, you did not seem to take to such a suggestion and so now I am afraid I must be a little sharper with you. I fear the worst." He sighs and perches on the desk in front of me, careful as he takes my hands and attempts to comfort me.

I cannot believe what he is telling me. I simply do not believe it can be true. Why should Benedict have a need to consort with other women? Why would he be so desperate to leave London if he loves the affections of her so much? I do not believe it for a second and I tell Anthony as such. "Do you have any proof? Have you seen him directly with another woman?"

"Peaches, listen. You shall be best to speak to your husband himself of this. Perhaps there is a perfectly reasonable explanation." He squeezes my hands and forces himself to smile as he watches me through pitiful eyes. "Do not worry, my dear. If he has done so then I shall ensure that he is properly scorned and that mama and all know. He shall know what a silly mistake he has made."

"This is not silly, this is my life and my marriage and our child. I..." I hesitate for a moment, pushing my hands to my face. Perhaps the time he has spent at the modiste is in fact suspicious. Perhaps I am too infatuated with him to see what is clear in front of me. "I shall speak to him and see what he has to say. I... I shall do it now."