prologue

»————⋆◦★◦⋆————«

1986

The playground, as always, was full of noise, the gleeful sound of children. However, there was one boy, sitting on the swing, looking down at the grass. His circular glasses were worn out, the only thing holding them together was adhesive tape. His clothes were baggy, clearly too big for him. Two boys his age ran past him, chasing each other, and the bespectacled boy looked longingly at them. He desired to play with them too, but he knew they wouldn't play with him. Just like everyone else.

The sun was getting lower and lower on the horizon, and the wind was starting to blow harder. It was the end of August, and the leaves falling now and then made it clear that autumn was only a few days away. A ladybug flew over the dark-haired boy's glasses. He took his glasses in his hand and patiently waited for the ladybug to climb on his finger.

"Hello." A silky voice rang in the six years old boy's ears.

The ladybird flew off his finger as looked up, his glasses now perched on the tip of his nose. His eyes met a figure of a young girl standing in front of him. She had big dark eyes, her long, black hair was pulled into a tight ponytail on the top of her head, and she was holding a flower crown in her hand.

"Can I join you?" she asked with a smile.

The boy nodded. He never really had company, it was strange to him that the girl decided to sit on the swing next to him.

The girl noticed the awkwardness on his face in no time. "Why are you alone?" she pushed herself away and flew high in the air while watching her companion with interest. 

"The other kids rather avoid me," he responded after a little time, his voice no louder than a mumble.

She knitted her brows. "Why?" she wondered. 

The boy next to her didn't seem scary. He was small built, skinny, with dark ruffled hair and bright eyes. The only unusual thing about his appearance was his forehead, more exactly, a thin scar in the shape of a lightning bolt. He seemed completely normal to the girl. And lonely.

"They don't like me," he stated simply.

A grimace spread across the girl's face, and her swing slowed down as she turned halfway towards him. "Did you give them a reason to?" she inquired.

He shook his head slightly. "No, my cousin did. Everyone is afraid of him, and he doesn't like me, so nobody wants to be my friend," he answered, looking at his hands that were playing with his shirt.

"Oh. I will be your friend then," she said firmly and reached out to place the flower crown on top of his head. "I just moved here with my family. We lived far from here. I love adventures, this place seems nice, and I can't wait to explore."

The corners of his mouth lifted slightly at the excitement in the girl's voice. She seemed like such a free-spirited and blithe person, and the boy never really had anyone around him that was similar to her. "Where did you move?" he looked at her with curious interest.

"Privet Drive."

A dim flame of excitement lighted up in the boy's eyes. "I live there too," he rejoiced at the fact that the girl, who seemed like someone who wouldn't treat him so badly like everyone, moved to the same street where he lived with his aunt, uncle and cousin.

A huge grin appeared on the face of the girl, her missing teeth coming into sight. "That's amazing! You can help me explore," she exulted. "My name is Josie. Josephine Sagitta," she held out her hand towards the boy.

A soft smile crept on his face too, he accepted the outstretched hand and shook it. "Harry. Harry Potter."