Chapter 72

"Okay," Sunshine says. She's in the car, Uncle Tommy pointing the camera at her. She has a neon yellow jacket on. "I...literally couldn't stand it anymore, and uh, we came to Nolan's mom's house."

"Good idea," Tommy notes.

Sunshine shrugs lamely. "Kind of weird, but yeah, so we're here, and I don't know what we're gonna learn, but I brought Uncle Tommy with me as you can see."

"Backup."

"Mmhm," she smiles. "Anyways, maybe she'll have cookies for me or something."

"Cookies are good," Tommy nods.

"Cookies are delicious." She sighs. "So, I don't know—"

"Seriously?" Tommy says, looking past Sunshine.

"Hm?" She turns and follows his gaze, then visibly deflates. She'd thought it was Nolan. Instead it's his probably autistic brother that's slightly annoying.

"Hey!" Colin calls as he runs up, smiling, hands in his jacket pockets. "What are you guys doing here?"

"Hey," Sunshine and Tommy laugh awkwardly.

"Hey, good to see you guys." He grins and leans down towards the open window.

"Hi..." Sunshine repeats, turning to look at the camera and giving a wide, kinda terrified smile.

"How's it going?" Tommy asks, trying not to laugh.

"Good." He smiles, but when he sees the camera stops, appearing shocked. "Oh my—am I gonna be in the—no! Am I gonna be on the YouTube page?!" He jumps excitedly.

"It's okay, it's okay, calm down," Sunshine laughs.

Tommy giggles. "You're so excited. Wow."

Colin nods, grinning.

"What's your name again?" Tommy asks, extending his hand.

"Oh! Colin!" He does a weird handshake that's more of a wrist grab and pulls back.

"Poofy hair kid," Sunshine remarks.

"He has a name." Tommy raises a brow.

"Sorry. Colin. Uh, so you're...at your mom's house."

"I am, yes."

"Is Nolan...there? Is he here? Is he...?"

Colin shakes his head. "We still haven't heard from him, so."

"Well," Tommy says, "we were thinking of going inside and chattin' with your mom to see..."

"Oh! Mom's not home."

Sunshine looks at him. "What?"

"She's..." He shrugs. "On a trip, I don't know, she's not gonna be here for like another two weeks or something."

"Okay," Sunshine frowns.

"House to myself party," Colin smirks.

Tommy laughs, then steers back to the subject. "You still haven't heard anything, though?"

"No, I haven't. No—wait! Oh my gosh!" He digs into his jacket pocket and pulls out a note. "I have this letter."

"You got a...letter." Sunshine glances at it.

"Yeah! 'Colin, please don't love for me—' " He narrows his eyes. "He has terrible handwriting. 'Don't look for me, I'm fine, I'm working things out, I'm taking care of Sunshine—' "

Sunshine makes a face. He's what?

" 'So don't worry, please, I am fine. Don't worry. Your brother, Nolan.' So, I don't even know what that means, but." Colin looks up. "Have you...heard anything?"