The Six Essential Ingredients

Hermione Granger watched as the aggressive Slytherin stalked out of The Three Broomsticks, smiling slightly to herself, glad that her plan had worked. Something had felt different about this encounter with Pansy. Pansy had seemed more nervous, more observant of Hermione's every move. Hermione sighed to herself, and ordered herself another butter beer. She pushed her empty mug aside, and began to study the Amortentia potion.

...

It had been a week and a half since Granger had proposed the idea of a competition, and I still hadn't opened the potions book she had given to me yet. The engraving on the cover informed me that the book was called Most Potente Potions. I was having a hard time getting Granger out of my mind. Every time I picked up the book, my only thought was I'm sure she's already gathered every ingredient, or, I'm sure brewing this potion is as easy as casting the lumos spell for her. On this particular Wednesday night, I had decided to finally force myself to read the directions on how to create the potion. I was curled in the same large emerald armchair I had slept in weeks earlier when Madame Pomfrey had told me to get rest, after Granger had hexed my hair away. I shut my eyes tightly, and opened the book. Hesitant to open my eyes again, I forced myself to, and began to read the directions. The first step was to drop one Ashwinder egg into the cauldron. The book emphasized that the egg had to be frozen, or it would burn through the potion makers hands and set anything close to it on fire. I hastily grabbed an ink pot and a short roll of parchment and began to copy the information.

- One Ashwinder egg (FROZEN!!!!!)- Rose thorns (Steal during herbology?)- Peppermint- Powdered moonstone ????- Pearl dust (Snape's office?)- Rose petals

- Rose thorns (Steal during herbology?)
- Peppermint
- Powdered moonstone ????
- Pearl dust (Snape's office?)
- Rose petals

I folded the parchment and placed it into my pocket, and continued to read. I poured over the page, trying to retain as much information as I could. After what felt like hours, but what was really only 30 minutes, I had to fight to keep my eyes open. Surrendering to the extreme sleepiness I felt, I retreated to my dorm.

In the dark safety of my bed, and with the curtains drawn, I made the decision to pull out the book again. I couldn't let myself succumb to tiredness, not when I knew that somewhere else in the castle was Hermione Granger, studying through the night.

"Lumos."  The tip of my wand began to cast a soft light, perfect for reading in the dark. I held my wand in my mouth as I rested my chin on my knee and continued to read the directions, over and over. I pondered where I would get the ingredients. The frozen ashwinder egg, rose thorns, peppermint, and rose petals would be easy to find. The rose petals and thorns I could steal from the green houses, and the rest I could buy from the potions shop during one of the Hogsmeade weekends. I had to be fast, I had already wasted a week, and tomorrow was the first of October. But the rest... the powdered moonstone and pearl dust would be difficult to get my hands on. It was possible that Snape kept pearl dust and moonstone in his private stores, but I doubted he had the latter. I rubbed my tired eyes and sighed, knowing I had to sleep if I wanted to wake up in time for my classes in the morning.