“Hey, nerd. You need a paladin in the party?”

“Hi, Reiner.” Bertolt always sounds happy to hear from him, and Reiner tries to ignore how that feels like a long, cold drink of water on a sizzling hot day. “I’m working on a campaign right now that practically requires a paladin.”

“You have my interest. Go on.”

“Well, you don’t need one, but it’ll be really helpful to have one when all the undead appear and…”

Reiner settles more comfortably onto the couch, listening patiently as Bertolt describes the newest campaign he’s working on, making noises of agreement at all the right times. Reiner hasn’t played Dungeons and Dragons in a long time, but he still fondly remembers all the epic quests he and Bertolt went on when they were younger and only had each other. Bertolt had always been a wonderful DM, and Reiner is so proud that he’s managed to make it into his career. Between teaching creative writing at a private high school and writing campaigns for Wizards of the West Coast, Bertolt is doing really well for himself, and Reiner couldn’t be prouder of him.

“… and that’s all I’ve got so far.” It’s a myth that Bertolt never speaks, or is painfully shy; Reiner knows that once you get him going, it’s a real challenge to shut him up. “What’s going on with you?”

“Not a lot.” A blatant lie, and Reiner sighs as he slouches lower onto the couch. He could try and hide what’s going on from Bertolt, but he knows Bertolt will realize he’s not telling him something and press him for information. “I met someone.”

“You did? Reiner, that’s great!” Bertolt sounds so genuinely pleased and excited for him that it makes Reiner’s chest hurt a little bit. “What’s he like?”

“What, you don’t believe I could fall for a woman?” Teasing. Deflecting.

“No.” Bertolt isn’t buying it, not for a moment. He knows how incredibly, unapologetically gay Reiner is. “Tell me about him.”

“He’s… he’s shorter than I am. Works out a lot, so he’s pretty cut. Reddish-blond hair. Clean shaven. A few years younger than me.”

“He sounds cute.” Bertolt is nothing if not supportive.

“He is.” Especially when he smiles, even if it’s the Jaws smirk, or when he does that sharp, rusty little laugh. “He’s nervous, though. And… it’s like he doesn’t know how to be around me.”

“What do you mean?”

“He’s… different. Depending on where we are.”

“Reiner…” Bertolt sounds suspicious now. “You didn’t fall for a closet case, did you?”

“No! I…” Reiner has to stop and think for a minute, and damn if Bertolt doesn’t have a point. “I mean, he could be? But I don’t think so.”

“You need to find that out. You deserve better than that.”

Reiner laughs a little at that. Bertolt always believes the best of Reiner, even when it’s not true, and it’s one of the things he loves about him. “Yeah, so anyway…”

“What’s his name?”

“Galliard.”

There’s a pause. “Galliard what?”