Chapter 6

VAERYS POV
Alot has happened over the past few months. Rumors about the Dark Lord's return had been circulating throughout the wizarding world. I grew weary of this. As everyone knew that my father is a death eater. Sooner or later, he'll recruit me.

Dumbledore was sacked by the ministry for conspiracy and was replaced by a great prick named Dolores Umbridge.

"Professor, you're packing?" I stumbled upon Dumbledore in his office packing away his things. He was the one who had accepted me into Hogwarts. The one who believed in me. The one who brought in me despite knowing of my dark ties.

"Dark times are starting, Vaerys. Prepare yourself" He answered me. "I believe I shall be replaced for a while" He said and faced me.

"Sir, is it true? The Dark Lord has returned?" I asked cautiously.

"It is our choices that show who we truly are, far more than our abilities" He said and patted my shoulder
"Prepare some tea when I get back!" He exclaimed and waved at me goodbye

"Ouch, easy on the arm, Draco" I said as he accidentally nudge me as I was carefully buttoning my polo. My body was still sore from intense training.

"What even crossed your mind for you to scar yourself?" Draco asked. He knew I had casted myself a scar, he just didnt know why. I tugged my polo to show the word mudblood scarred on the upper left of my chest.
"Why?" Draco asked. I sighed.

"I called Granger a filthy mudblood" I said and Draco looked taken aback. He for one knows how much I find insulting muggle-borns stupid.
"Emotions over took me. I gave myself that scar to remind me of my morals." I added and buttoned up my shirt and got my bag.

"Come on now, we need to do our prefect rounds" I said as we hurried over to the corridors and roamed. This Umbridge was a real pain to follow. Draco only enjoyed her being around because she has punished Harry frequently.

As we both separate, I roam the corridors flocked by students making sure their uniforms were neat and tidy, boys and girls are 8 inches apart. All these silly useless rules. I was checking off my list when someone bumped into me causing me to bump into someone else and held my hands against the wall. I glanced over to whom I had pushed against the wall, between my arms supporting me.

"Well, if it isnt Granger" I said composing myself as a pair of her chocolate eyes were on me, probably shooting daggers or something
"I remember fondly when we were last 5 inches from each other" I said with a small smirk watching the brunette avoid her eyes from me and actually show a hint of pink from her cheeks

"Educational Decree no. 31-" she tried to recite but I cut her off.

"Boys and Girls are not permitted to be within 8 inches of each other" I recited and leaned towards her ear.
"Too bad none of us is a boy" I whispered, chuckled when I saw her cheeks show more of a pink shade. Her eyes trailed unto my chest where my scar was. I quickly grabbed my polo and pulled it up to hide it.

"You really have the guts to act like this after calling me a mudblood" She scoffed and pushed me way. She stepped forward with her hand gripping her wand tightly.

"To be fair, you had called me with numerous hurtful words as well" I snapped back clutching my chest where she pushed me. She had aimed for the scar.

"And I thought you were different" She said in grimace and walked away. I shook my head and mentally punched myself. Calling her a mudblood must be one of my great regrets.

The Head boy and girl called for a meeting in the prefects lounge to discuss some changes within the school. I figured to arrive early, maybe Granger would be there early too.  Throughout the few months, we really didnt have any contact with each other. She completely avoided me as much as possible which makes me regret calling her a mudblood even worse.

"Weasley, Granger" I said as soon as I entered the lounge to find them next to each other. Just when I thought I could be alone with Granger, Weasley comes around. That red bloke.

"I thought you would be with your father right now, causing havoc serving you know who" Weasley decided to spat out. Just when I wanted to be quiet, this bloke starts me up.

"Well Weasley, how about you tell me what good your father is doing in the ministry? Digging for hand me downs you and your brothers can scavenge?" I retorted back as I sat across from them, Granger staring intently into a book thats upside down.
"You of all people has the audacity to be the huge talker when you are just a poor excuse of a shadow from your older brothers" I pressed more as I see the red head clutch his fists. This git really started a battle he cannot win. And he has his arm around Granger. Merlins, what good does this girl see in him

"Atleast he knows how to act like a decent being" Granger finally spoke and defended him. I could feel my heart tighten and gritted my teeth. I just scoffed as a response and right in the moment, the other prefects slowly came in just ahead of the head boy and girl

"You atleast have to tell me you managed to piss off Weasley" Draco sat next to me and whispered. I chuckled.

"The bloke started it" I scoffed and listened intently to whatever the heads were saying. Well, not really intently. More of playing them as background music while I eye out Weasley having his arm around Granger and looking at her from time to time. This bastard sure knows how to get into someone bad side.

"You like her, dont you" I heard Luna slip next to me as I gather my things.

"Who?" I asked her.

"Hermione, ofcourse" she asnwered in her dreamy and soft voice. I smiled and looked at her

"Is it obvious?" I asked.

"It is now. But I think it has been for a long time" She said as I wryly smile.

"I guess she caught my eye since 2nd year" I answered. I bid her goodbye and glanced near the door and saw Granger standing near the door, perhaps waiting for Weasley to emerge from the prefects bathroom.