Chapter Three

Dearest reader, this author finds herself compelled to share the most curious of news. It seems our diamond requires a closer inspection.

As such, an even rarer jewel, of only the most remarkable brilliance, fire, and luster has been unearthed. Her name, unknown to most, yet soon known by all, is Miss Marina Thompson.

This author is left to wonder whether Her Majesty might reconsider the high praise she once afforded to Miss Bridgerton. For we all must know what the queen despises more than anything: being wrong.

And the drawing room at Bridgerton House currently appears to be emptier than the muddled head of her dearest King George.

It follows that Lady Featherington is to receive what she always desired: the season's true Incomparable living under her own roof. She must be overjoyed.

As for the work of 'art itself,' it seems she hardly found herself off the dance floor, charming very gentleman except for Lord Allenbury, who seemed less than impressed. However, considering every other of Lady Meg's partners, one must wonder who is really at fault for the failed dance.

"Good morning!" Meg said, her voice unusually chipper, as she walked into the dining room. Her dark curls were down and she still wore her nightgown with a lilac dressing gown worn over it. Jip was trailing along faithfully behind her.

"Dearest?" Maria said, almost cautiously, setting down the latest Whistledown. "Are you feeling well?"

"Of course, Aunt George," Meg replied as she took her seat. Her breakfast had already been made ready for her, as she had the same thing every day, hot chocolate and a chocolate filled pastry. There was also a plate of sausage which she began cutting into tiny pieces, placing it on the floor for Jip. "Perfectly well. Why ever would I not be?"

"I simply have never known you to be at all pleasant before noon," Maria said. "And you put up quite a fuss about eating breakfast at the table."

Meg smiled sheepishly. She was not a morning person, to put it lightly. She had made a habit of rising between 11:30 and noon, as well as having her breakfast in bed. Though, the latter was more for practical reasons. There was no need to cause a fuss in the dining room, when she could have a simple tray in her bed instead.

She'd had a lovely evening the night before, a night of dancing and flirtation that ended with a lovely waltz. She wanted to deny it, that she wasn't a romantic. She believed in romance, yes, but she did not see the need for everything to be romantic. So wanted to believe that she was just happy to have a childhood wish fulfilled. The same as it would be if she were to ride through a field of flowers on a unicorn, a childhood dream come true.

But the whole thing seemed like a dream. She was probably reading far more into it than she really should have been. It was a simple dance between two old... well it was hard to say friends, even. They were friendly, yes, but she was simply the friend of his little sister. Two old acquaintances was perhaps the best way to put it.

"I had a lovely evening, Aunt George," said Meg. "That is all. Besides, if anyone should inquire as to how one is feeling, it is I. Are you better, Aunt George?"

Maria sighed and gave her niece a weary smile as she rested her head in her hand, a faint pink hue painting her pale cheeks.

"I am, thank you," said Maria. "I apologize for yesterday. My maid showed me this Lady Whistledown. I am pleased not to have embarrassed you too much."

"Don't worry about that, Aunt George," said Meg. "And do not pay her much attention."

"Now, is there a reason you are not yet dressed?" Maria asked. "You really should not be parading around the house like that.