Chapter Two

It has been said that, "Of all the bitches dead or alive, a scribbling woman is the most canine." If that should be true, then this author would like to show you her teeth.

My name is Lady Whistledown.

You do not know me, and rest assured, you never shall. But be forewarned, dear reader, I certainly know you.

"You are making me jealous!" Meg told her cousin as she stepped out from her dress.

Neither young woman could help themselves from laughing as Emma regaled the story of Prudence Featherington fainting in front of the queen. Perhaps it was a little mean-spirited to laugh at that, Meg thought. Especially since, from the way Emma described it, Prudence had fainted due to her mother needlessly tightening her corset. Considering how easily it could have been avoided, was hard not to find it laughable. 

"You receive compliments from the queen, one of only two out of two hundred, need I remind you, and you are upset that you did not get to witness one of them faint?" Emma asked. "And, cousin, here I thought you were the kinder between us."

"Well, I'm laughing more at Lady Featherington more than anyone else," said Meg. "If I didn't know any better, I would say she thrust her daughters in the old, dusty stays of her youth."

A laugh bubbled up between the two, though they tried to keep it quiet, as to not disturb Lady Maria. Upon their arrival back at Swynford House, Maria rushed up the stairs and practically collapsed on her bed, just as poor Prudence Featherington had collapsed in front of the queen. It was quite an amusing sight, and Meg had noticed some of the maids trying to stifle their laughter. She couldn't blame them, it was a rather humorous sight. Meg doubted she had even changed out of her court dress, or even taken off the tiara she wore. 

"My lady, your dresses," said a maid, interrupting the conversation walking in with a few boxes and setting them down. "Along with this."

The maid took a small pamphlet from the top of the box, as more maids came in with various boxes, and handed it to Emma, who read it with a perplexed look.

"Lady Whistledown?" Emma questioned. "Who on earth is Lady Whistledown?"

"What is it?" Meg asked.

"A gossip sheet," said Emma.

"Really?" Meg asked, rolling her eyes. "What on earth is that doing here."

Emma merely smirked, and began reading.

While Miss Daphne Bridgerton might be the season's Incomparable, a diamond of the first water, she was not the only one presented with compliments from the queen. Lady Meg Norcrosse, was called 'art itself,' in spite of her aunt looking as though she was about to throw herself at the queen's mercy and beg for her life. Such praise may seem to add to her desirability, as the heiress to several thousand pounds, and plenty of property and priceless art besides. But be warned, dear reader, for rumors of a marriage between Lady Meg and her cousin, the Earl of Swineford, ever since the death of the lady's father, the much respected and dearly missed Earl of Swynford, the lady is in much demand, indeed. And with all that she has, she can indeed afford to be picky with the man she chooses to take as a husband, if she chooses to take one, at all. It appears that Miss Bridgerton and Lady Meg shall be quite a dynamic duo, a team to rival all of the other husband hunting young ladies of the ton.

"Well, that is very kind," said Meg flatly. "Or at least, it was, until she insinuated that I was engaged, or at least might be, engaged to Swineford. I doubt your mama will be too pleased to read that."