Chapter 20 : Two Thieves in Paris

Sunday, 25th of January 1795
A month later

It was early in the morning when Arno walked inside the Assassins' meeting room, followed closely by Rosalie. Trenet and Quémar were discussing something as they were standing near the table at which Beylier was sitting. The three of them turned their heads and attention towards the two new arrivants.
"You've called us." Arno started.
"Indeed." Trenet replied and took a step towards them. "We may have found some new information concerning those Templars who stole the Apple of Eden two months ago."
Arno and Rosalie quickly shared a glance. "What is it ?"
Trenet then designated a couple of books and letters that were dispersed on the table and explained. "Our agents managed to find the estate of Anne de Marbeuf, and brought her personal stuff here. Or, at least, what remained of them."
Rosalie and Arno approached the table to observe the documents. "And have you learned anything helpful ?" the man asked.
"What we've learned is more... perturbing than helpful." Beylier spoke, bringing everyone's attention on himself. "You see, Anne de Marbeuf was originally born as Anne Michel. She then was married to a general officer, Jacques Auger Marquis de Marbeuf, who owned one of the biggest dairy farms of Paris. Most of the parisian creameries were selling dairy products coming from De Marbeuf's farm. But in 1789, the Revolution started and Jacques Auger died, so his wife naturally took over the family business, but the new decisions she made did not please the other farmers around."
Rosalie grabbed an old open book on the table to read the pages as Beylier spoke. She realized that it was the accounting records of the farm during the year of 1786. She started to flip the pages and noticed that all the customers written down were indeed french, and the farm earned a fortune. But after the year of 1790, the only records that were left were the amount of products they monthly had in stock. The last record was from a year ago.
"She stopped selling the farm's products after her husband died ?" Rosalie remarked with a frown. "Why ?"
"That was also what I asked to myself." Beylier replied. "But then, I found these." he took the letters that were on the table and slided them towards the two young Assassins who analyzed them. All of them came from Austria and the same woman : Gabrielle Michel, duchesse de Lévis. Rosalie internally remarked that she shared the same surname « Michel » as Anne de Marbeuf.
"According to those letters, Gabrielle de Lévis was Anne de Marbeuf's sister who fleed to Austria with her child Henriette de Lévis when the Revolution started, as most of the nobles were being tracked down by the Patriots in France. In those letters, Anne says explicitly that the reason why she kept her dairy products in stock instead of distributing them to the Parisians was because she was actually keeping them as supplies for the Austrian armies. In exchange, her sister and niece were under Austria's protection."
"Corruption." Arno muttered.
Beylier nodded. "She was an enemy of the Revolution and she made a pact with the Austrians. So, it was only a matter of time until the Patriots found out about it and... eliminated her."
Rosalie raised her gaze towards Beylier and frowned. "Eliminated her ?" she echoed.
The master assassin took another letter and handed it over the young woman. "This is what seems to be Anne de Marbeuf's last letter to her sister. Unfortunately for her, but fortunately for us, it has never reached its receiver."
Rosalie grabbed the letter and started to silently read it. Arno came closer to have a look as well, she was too focused on her lecture to be perturbed by his closeness.

« Paris, 22nd of January 1794.
My Dear Gabrielle,
It is with great sorrow that I am writing what supposedly is my very last letter to you. The farmers working near our dairy found out about our... secret activities. By the time I am writing down those words, they surely have denounced me and Monsieur Payen to the Patriots. As you will be reading those lines, I will probably be guillotined for treason. Do not be mad at me, I am begging you. And do not blame yourself either. It was my decision to stay here in the first place so you and Henriette could be safe and far from the chaos which France is plunged into for five years now.
I want you to know that I am sorry. I did my best and I suppose you knew just like me that this was not going to last forever. That was maybe the reason why you have insisted so much for me to join you, to let Monsieur Payen and the dairy behind, but I could not. Not after all the things he did for us. When I have chosen to stay here, I was aware that I was playing a very dangerous game. And now, I am ready to pay the price. This I will do with pride and not regrets, knowing that I did what was right.
Kiss Henriette for me, remind her that her auntie will never stop loving her, in this world and the other. Take care of yourself and remember of me well.
Sincerely yours,
Your sister Anne. »