"Thank you grandma. For always being there for me." I grin and peck her cheek.

"Of course! Now go get that little she-devil and come have dinner." She winks before leaving for the kitchen.

I chuckle at her words before making my way to the back garden. We've moved into a two-bedroom house near my grandmother since she didn't have much space to accommodate us. Which is fine because I don't want to trouble her either with a growing daughter and our busy lives.

I spot my daughter sitting in the plant beds she's ruined with her hands covered with dirt. With a heavy sigh I shake my head as I walk up to her. Aria is six years old with long hair that reaches her waist in brown wavy strands. But there's also a natural blonde coming through that makes it seem like she has highlights. She has a cute button nose and the lightest of freckles across her cheeks, nose, and arms.

She's certainly an energetic child and always keeps me on my toes. She loves running around and wreaking havoc. I've lost count of how many times she's hurt herself while playing outside or ran back into the house with dirt covering her from head to toe. She's wild, reckless, and fearless. Yet those are all the things I love about my little munchkin.

"Aria! You've ruined the plants! Come here!" I scold as I help her up.

"I saw a big spider mum!" She exclaims excitedly as she points to the ground. "But I can't find it anymore."

"It's probably hiding somewhere sweetheart." I brush the dirt off her face, hands, and clothes. "Let's go, I need to give you a bath before dinner."

"Will grandma be mad?" She whispers with wide eyes knowing how our grandmother spent so much of her time gardening for us.

"God I hope so! That woman spoils you way too much." I mutter to myself as I watch her skip ahead of me.

I hear our grandmother make a noise of surprise when Aria steps up on the mat and knocks on the glass door. She only gets a brief scolding though before grandma smothers her with affection once Aria apologizes and promises to help fix the plant beds. I chuckle with a shake of my head as I pick Aria up and walk to the bathroom upstairs.

Giving her a bath takes almost an hour because she loves to play with the bubbles and her toys. Today the duck has been captured by pirates and so she uses her little toy boat to rescue it while I wash her hair and body.

"Yay! We did it!" She all but screams the house down and splashes her hands which makes my clothes wet.

"Ari!" I laugh as I pick her up out of the water and set her down to dry her body off.

She dances and wiggles like usual as I towel dry her hair before changing her into her pajamas. Then she runs off downstairs to grandma while I clean the mess of water before changing into a t-shirt and sweatpants. I make my way to the kitchen and we have dinner together before watching a movie about some princess.

While grandma and Aria are engrossed in that I go over my schedule for tomorrow. It's going to be my first day as an art lecturer and I'm quite nervous. I've always been passionate about art so to have a career in it is amazing. Thankfully, we arrived just in time for Aria to be accepted into the local school so she will be starting tomorrow also. It makes me even more nervous thinking about if she'll be okay, if she'll need me or what if someone hurts her?

I shake my head to rid myself of my anxiety. I know my daughter and she'll be just fine. She's never been shy around other people and has always been friendly so I don't think I should be worried. More importantly she knows how to behave appropriately. It's just when she's playing she tends to get a bit adventurous which one hundred percent of the time lands her into trouble.

I look over to see grandma nodding off to sleep which makes me snicker. Shaking her gently I turn off the television before asking her if she'll be staying. She shakes her head and tells me that she'll be leaving so we walk her to the door and bid goodbye. I turn to tidy the house up before going upstairs where Aria has run off to. I find her in her bedroom and lean against the door frame.

"Ready to go for tomorrow baby?" I smile as I watch Aria zip up her red backpack.

"Yes!" She grins adorably before running over to her bed. "Will you read me a story about the fairies mum?"

"Of course." I grab her favorite book off the shelf and sit down beside her.

Aria cuddles up to me immediately and I sigh contently as her sweet scent envelopes me. I press a kiss to the top of her head before pulling her blanket over her. She closes her eyes as I start to read and I grin when I see her lips move as she mouths some parts with me. She's heard this story so many times now that I'm not surprised she knows it by heart.

Eventually her breathing evens and she finally falls asleep ten minutes later. I close the book before gently positioning her so she doesn't roll off the bed. Pecking her cheek, I turn off the light and leave the door open a little bit before walking into my bedroom across the hall.

Changing into my pajamas I get into bed with a big yawn and settle down underneath the covers. I put an alarm on for tomorrow morning before closing my eyes and drifting off to sleep with the hope that everything goes well tomorrow.

Update schedule is: once a week whenever I find time!

Vote if you are enjoying this story!

Chapter 2 is already up on Inkitt! Click the link in my bio or announcement post to read my book faster!

1. Download the app

2. Follow my profile

3. Put my book in your reading list!

- R.W. ♡