The Tutor and his Students

Ayanokōji POV

After a few minutes, the first bell rang. At that precise moment, a woman entered the classroom. When I first saw her, my initial impression was that she firmly believed in discipline. If I had to guess, I would have placed her age at thirty. She wore a suit and had delicate features. Her hair seemed long, and she’d tied it into a ponytail.

“Ahem. Good morning to you, students. I’m the instructor for Class D. My name is Chiyabashira Sae. I usually teach Japanese history. However, at this school, we do not change classrooms for each grade. For the next three years, I will be acting as your homeroom teacher, so I hope to get to know all of you. It’s a pleasure to meet you. The entrance ceremony will be in the gymnasium one hour from now, but first, I will distribute written materials with information about this school’s special rules. I will also hand out the admissions guide.”

The students in the front seats passed back the familiar documents I’d received after being accepted.

This school differed from the multitude of other Japanese high schools in a few key ways. Here, all students were required to live in dormitories located on school premises. Also, except for special cases, such as studying abroad, students were forbidden to contact anyone outside the school. Even contact with your immediate family was forbidden without authorization.
Naturally, leaving school grounds without permission was also strictly forbidden.

However, the campus also came equipped with many excellent facilities. With its own karaoke spot, theater, café, boutique, and more, you could easily compare this school to a small city. The campus spread over
more than 600,000 square meters. This school boasted another unique feature: the S System.

“I will now hand out your student ID cards. By using your card, you can access any of the facilities on campus, purchase goods from the store, and so on. It acts like a credit card.
However, it is imperative that you pay attention to the points that you spend. At this school, you can use your points to buy
anything. Anything located on the school premises is available for purchase.”

Our points, loaded onto our student ID cards, acted as a kind of currency. The lack of paper money would prevent many students’ financial troubles. However, students needed to keep a watchful eye on their spending habits. At any rate, the school provided these points free of charge.

“Your student cards can be used simply by swiping them through the machine scanner. The method is simple, so you shouldn’t get confused.Points are automatically deposited into your account on the first of every
month. You should all have received 100,000 points already. Keep in mind that one point is worth one yen. No further explanation should be necessary.”

The classroom erupted. In other words, we had received a 100,000-yen monthly allowance from the school upon admission. I’d expect nothing less from a massive institution run by the Japanese government. 100,000 yen is a rather large sum of money for a high schooler.

“Shocked by the amount of points you’ve been given? This school evaluates its students’ talents. Everyone here has passed the entrance examination, which itself speaks to your value and potential. The amount you’ve received reflects the evaluation of your worth. You can use your points without restraint. After graduation, however, all of your points return to the school. Because it’s impossible to exchange your points for cash, there’s no advantage to saving them. Once points have been deposited into your account, it’s up to you how to spend them. Do as you like. In the event that you don’t want to spend your points, you may transfer them to someone
else. However, extorting money from your peers is not allowed. This school monitors bullying very carefully.”

As bewilderment spread among the students, Chiyabashira-sensei looked over the room.

“Well, it appears no one has any questions. I hope that you enjoy your time here as students.”