Hiwaga

Ever wonder what the hell your grandparents are talking about? You know, the good 'ol 'Alamat' that they used to tell us before going to bed? The things that pop up and pop out, the creatures that roam the night, the feeling you get like you're being watched, the wedding being held everytime it's raining and sunny at the same time, the "Tabi-tabi po" habit, and so much more...

Well, I'm here to say that what they were telling you is REAL. And it still is happening, engkantadas  party all night in the most expensive bars and clubs, Tikbalangs race through the streets for a quick buck, Aswangs smuggle goods and are notorious drug dealers, Kapres are the kingpins of crimes; smoking their cigars in their high class barong tagalogs, Santelmos light up the sky and the crafty engkanto are the so-called 'bugaw' for lustful individuals looking for a one-night-stand.

Most of us didn't know that they still exist, but they do. Stories hailing from Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao telling stories of old, some long forgotten and some twisted beyond recognition. They kept their existence as a myth to keep a low profile. I'm telling you they're real, they walk among us, they might even be your boss, your professor or your bestfriend (emphasis on the bestfriend here).

"Putangina, what was that?" he said as an unseeable figure moved past him. He steps back out of fear, and behind him a voice was heard, "Hand over your money!" he looks behind him and draws out his pepper spray, "Stay back!" holding it in front of him "Like that would wo-" the holdaper didn't finish his sentence due to the sudden burning sensation in his eyes. Slashing blindly with his kitchen knife, until he made contact with something. "Mother fucker! Anak ng-!" the man yelled as he felt the wound on his right arm. "You shouldn't have done that!" he started hissing and growling much like a snake and a tiger, he began his change... Eyes glowing red with rage, his nails became claws ears becoming pointier, his teeth turned into fangs sharper than the knife the thief was holding and his tongue grew longer and sleeker. "Pepper sssspray didn't work, let's see how you fare against me!" He lunged at the still blinded thief with his razor sharp claws. In the blink of an eye, a large gash on the thief's throat was left behind. He changed back into a normal man, wearing his blue polo and tight jeans; the cuffs on his blue polo, now stained in the blood of a criminal, "I don't feed on trash like you." he said to the corpse of the thief, now drained of most of his blood. The man left the scene like nothing happened and disappeared into the dark of the night.

 Morning came and of course my seven o'clock alarm goes off. I reach out my hand and press snooze. *several opportunities to have taken a bath later*

As I open my eyes, the amount of light entering is just is too much, "Shit! I overslept!" I turn to look at my phone to see it's  8:10 am, I ran fast, grabbed a pair of jeans I wore yesterday and a clean shirt from last week's clean laundry. I put them on and grabbed my stuff. College life is hard, especially when you're in an apartment, but that's the least of your problems when you're attending the University of the Philippines Los Banos, a melting pot of culture, traditions, races, and secrets.  Plus, the fact that I live in Calamba, Laguna. Talk about lazy  "And here I am almost late." I said as I ran to the nearest jeepney stop.

I stretch out my hand motioning 'para', to ride the jeep to my first class MATH17, yeah it sucks, math for breakfast everyday. The jeepney stopped beside me, I rode the front to avoid contact with other passengers who may or may have not taken their bath like me. "Bayad ho, student, math building." drivers understand what those mean, drving there daily memorizing the twists and turns of the university; the jeepney zoomed into the road only to stop when someone is going in or out, and of course basic traffic rules. "Para ho." said a burly man behind me, I couldn't tell if he was an upperclassman or a freshman like, a lot of them look like they've been in an isolated island with no shaving tools, and some look like first year high school students. I've finally reached my destination and the jeep slows down and then stops. I made my way into the building, funny how it had so much history written all over it; how it burned to the ground and how many lives it has taken. I pass by the lone mango tree, for a building it has a lot of open space, maybe for 'children' to play in when it was still a high school building. "Hurry up, or I'll mark you absent." a voice said from behind me, I turned to look to see a bald man sporting thick rimmed eyeglasses. "Sorry sir-" and I rushed to the door of the lecture hall thankful I wasn't late, while avoiding any more uncomfortable conversation with the lecturer.

The lecturer was just a substitue filling in for Mr. Dela Vega, who caught the flu. "I am Mr. Reyes and I will be your lecturer for this and the next week.", he smelled good, I could smell him because I was sitting up front, and there were no seats left in the back again. He smelled like freshly cut grass, he didn't seem like a math teacher, he seemed more like a tractor operator. He then proceeded discussing the topic that was left hanging by our professor last week which was conics, "God, I hate conics." I whispered to myself and began taking down notes.

"Yes! At last I'm freeeeeee!" said the first student to leave the room, "Mr. Morales, may I have a word with you?" Mr. Reyes said in flat tone, but there's three Mr. Morales' in this class. The three of us went to him, asking each other what he might want, or which one of us he wants. "No, you two go, my business is with Mr. Raymond S. Morales." "What is it sir?" I said gulping in my anxiety "Follow me into my cubicle." he said with his eyes checking on me. I thought to myself "Oh shit I think he's hitting on me." we head to the second floor and stopped in front of the door to the faculty room, I look up and read the room label, "MB 201" he opened the door and gestured for me to follow.

He cleared his desk from scratch papers and doodles, I saw one paper with a drawing of Finn from adventure time and some letters, then laid his messenger bag on top of his desk, and sat down on his chair. I stood there staring at him and him staring right back at me, "Awkward eye contact." I thought. "Am I in trouble sir?" I asked nervously, "No, you're not." his voice was soothing like a gentle breeze on a cold summer night, "Listen kid, I've been watching you." his voice now more authoritative. "Shit gay stalker alert." I thought, now I'm sweating hard like I ran two kilometers up and down forestry. "You're destined for something..." he trailed off  "something big." he said, "Oh and kindly fill out this student personal data sheet. You're the only one in class who didn't submit one." he gave me his pen, and I began writing stuff down, funny thing here is that I already submitted one to Mr. Dela Vega, "There you are sir." I gave him back his pen and the PDS. "That is all... and if there's something you need you can always talk to me. Except financial assistance." His eyes glinting as he gave a half smile before chuckling at his own joke.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION. Kuha mo?