Can't hold it any longer

Zhao Yunlan sat in his car, squeezing the steering wheel, his knuckles white. All the way back, he was trying his best not to think about the past, but the more he tried, the more vivid the pictures of Shen Wei appeared in his head. Finally, he had to stop, his head pounding, his heart trying to burst in pain. Tears were freely running down his cheeks. "FUCK!" he screamed. The memory of his last moments seeing Shen Wei attacked him with unbelievable force. Shen Wei, wounded, hurting and still managing to look at him with that loving expression. Zhao Yunlan hit the wheel, again and again, hopeless anger mounting inside of him. Shen Wei was gone. Together with Ye Zun, they disappeared, not leaving even a body to bury. Did anyone even think of erecting a tombstone for him? Did they manage to explain his sudden disappearance to the people he knew? Or was he just one of many missing persons reported to the police? 

Yunlan slowly calmed down, excruciating sorrow replacing anger. He will have to ask. And then, then he will have to listen to the answer. And whatever they say, the pain of knowing will be killing him inside over and over again. But he needed to know everything. He owed this to Shen Wei.

There were other questions as well. Sorting through them in his head, the detective managed to settle down a bit, enough to get him driving the rest of the way to SID. He wiped off his face, put on what he hoped was his nonchalant facade, and walked inside.

"You look like shit," commented Daqing from the sofa. He was in his human form, munching on a grilled fish. So much for keeping his face. "What happened with Old Chief Zhao?"

"Nothing much, we talked, then I walked out." Yunlan approached the table scrutinizing all the food displayed there. "What is all this?"

"Chief Zhao, you said you were hungry, but I forgot to ask you what you wanted, so... I bought a bit of everything." Guo Cangcheng lowered his head guiltily.

Zhao pointed his finger at him and waved it a couple of times, but then he spotted a large box sitting on one of the desks and went there quickly. He opened the parcel, took out some lollipops, and stuffed them into his pockets. Finally, the detective grabbed one, unwrapped and hungrily put it in his mouth. He closed his eyes, took a deep breath, held it for a while, then released it. He moved to the sofa and looked at Daqing.

"M", he motioned with his head.

"What?"

"Move, you old cat."

Da Qing slid to the side, and Zhao lay down in his favourite spot and put one leg on the table. He was playing with his lollipop for a while, trying to keep his emotions at bay.

"Eat something," Daqing nudged him.

"Not hungry."

"But, you said..." Guo blurted out, surprised. "You sent me-"

"I'M NOT FUCKING HUNGRY!" roared Yunlan. Da Qing leapt from the sofa and stared at him wide-eyed. Guo Changcheng cringed and tried to hide his head between his shoulders, and Chu Shuzhi stood up from his desk and came closer, brows knitted. Zhao took one shaking hand and covered his eyes.

"I'm not... I'm..." He took some deep breaths to restrain himself. "Just tell me everything from the beginning. I want every detail from the moment you came back."

Lao Chu regarded him with a steady gaze. He started speaking in a neutral voice. "The streets were full of wounded: both Dixin and Haixing people. Took everyone a while to clean up the mess. Lin Jin brought you back. We laid you down here. Your father was already waiting, and Zhang Shi transferred into your body. We still had to get him to the hospital. Your injuries were too much for him to handle. He spent there about a month."

From half-closed eyelids, Yunlan saw Daqing's chin tremble. He forced himself to sit up. "I'm sorry I scared you right now. Come on, sit here." He patted a place next to him. Daqing reluctantly plopped down, folding his hands, and Zhao scratched his neck. "It's ok, I'm here. Not going anywhere," he said softly, and Daqing lowered his head. "Old Chu, continue."

"After a couple of days, Zhu Hong and I went to the university."

Oh gods

"We wanted to take care of the formalities for Professor Shen. But when we were going to the Dean's office, we met him in the corridor."

"WHAT?!"

"He was heading for a lecture."