I squared my shoulders, tilting my chin up as I looked over at Echo. "You and me." I proposed, nodding toward the training mat.

She let out a condescending laugh. "Look, Avery. I don't want to hurt you. I'm just saying that Bellamy isn't a very good teacher if he's just going easy on you because you're his girlfriend."

"Right." I agreed. "Then go up against me. If Bellamy is such a bad teacher, then you'll beat me easily."

Echo's eyes flickered toward Bellamy who just gave her a shrug. He knew better than to get in between this.

She finally sighed, pulling her hair up into a ponytail. "No crying when I beat you."

I rolled my eyes, turning my head to either side to crack my neck. "Won't see any tears from me."

The two of us lined up in front of each other, her dark eyes meeting my own. Honestly, I was scared, and I knew that she was probably going to kick my ass. She was a trained spy after all.

But at the same time, I was tired of being seen as weak. I wanted to protect myself, I didn't always need Bellamy doing it for me.

"Ready?" Echo taunted, watching me like I was prey.

I nodded, and it began.

She hit me with a few early punches that I was unable to dodge. But I returned them quickly, hitting her almost every time.

Most of the group had gathered in the main area, watching us in a mixture of shock and excitement.

At one point, Echo drove her fist toward my throat, a hit that would render me immobile instantly, but I quickly moved out of the way.

I may not have been overly strong, but I was quick.

I felt my heart pounding against my chest as I took a hit from her in the side. It slowed me down for a moment, but didn't stop me.

Finally, she drove toward me with an aggressive hit, but I managed to catch her arm, locking her elbow and bending it behind her back. She let out a shocked gasp as I kicked her feet out from beneath her, sending her to the ground.

My eyes widened for a minute as my friends and Bellamy let out cheers. I think everyone was shocked that I had actually won. Truthfully, I'm pretty sure it was luck of the draw. There was no way I was a better fighter than Echo...or maybe there was.

I looked down at her who was harshly panting, confusion and anger in her eyes. I cocked an eyebrow, giving her a small shrug. "Still think Bellamy's going easy on me?"

---

That night, Bellamy and I lay in bed, me icing my bruises as he lightly played with my hair.

"You've come a long way." he announced, moving to press a light kiss to one of the bruises on my back.

I shifted, wincing as I looked up at him. "Well, yeah. When we first started training I could barely land a hit on you."

He smiled, but shook his head. "No. I mean you've come a long way since I first met you." he looked down at me. "You were fiesty, but so sweet hearted.....you wouldn't even kill a bunny on that hunting trip I took you on."

I fell silent for a moment as I thought back. "Yeah." I agreed, a warm smile coming to my face at the thought of first meeting Bellamy. "You've come a long way too." I assured. "You were kind of a jerk."

A small laugh fell from his lips as he lightly traced circles on my bare arms. "I was." he agreed.

I looked up at him, smiling as I brushed a curl away from his eyes. "I've never admitted this to anyone..." I began. "But I had a huge crush on you from the minute I first saw you...even if you were a huge ass."