12 | Love Languages

Start from the beginning

"You guys made good time!" Naegi greeted, standing up from the chaise lounge he had been awaiting their arrival on. He looked too small for his suit and he kept adjusting the collar of it. His focus was almost immediately on Kirigiri. He offered her his hand. "Kyouko-chan. You look great! Thanks again for all your help."

Kirigiri smiled wryly as she accepted the handshake.

"Always a pleasure to interfere."

"Togami-san." Kiyotaka could see the affluent progeny in question, standing by the doorway to the hall with his arms crossed and his gaze focused on the ceiling above their heads. "You've... really outdone yourself, you know? You didn't have to do all of this."

"Hmmph," Togami said. He did not so much as look at Kiyotaka. If he didn't care about any of this, why was he waiting here with Naegi? Kiyotaka was certain he'd never fully understand Togami. It was frustrating not being able to thank someone.

"Just ignore him," Naegi insisted. He laughed sheepishly. "I should show you guys inside, then, yeah?"

Kiyotaka swallowed a nervous lump in his throat.

"Y-Yes, of course. Lead the way."

Kiyotaka cradled the box he held close to his chest and tried not to move it around too much as he followed Naegi. In moments, he found himself in a vast ballroom with high sloping ceiling, a spectacular chandelier, wooden-paneled walls, and a stage for performances with a heavy red curtain. Tables covered in white sheets lined one wall and were piled high with appetizers and drinks. The center of the room had several arcade machines and crane games set up. There was even a inflatable bouncy castle, of all things, and Kiyotaka wondered whose idea that had been and for whose benefit it was supposed to be.

More important than the spectacle, though, were the guests.

Nagito, Hajime, and Mikan watched and cheered Chiaki on as she attempted to set some likely ridiculous high score on one of the games. Kazuichi competed against Leon on a different machine— one of those dancing games where one has to step on the colorful arrows in time to a beat— while Sayaka eagerly awaited a turn. Ibuki and Akane seemed to be trying to outdo one another in the bounce house, seeing who could fling themselves higher into the sky and hollering wildly as they did so while Hiyoko complained that she hadn't gotten to bounce yet. Fuyuhiko and Peko stood solemnly in one corner as if watching over everyone and making sure they behaved. Teruteru occasionally popped out of a back room that Kiyotaka could only assume was a kitchen with more dishes. Peko seemed to be observing him especially closely (for obvious reasons). Hagakure was relaying an implausible tale about aliens and a cheeseburger to a Hifumi who only barely seemed to be listening. Mukuro, as socially awkward as ever, was at least trying to keep up with him and nodded occasionally.

"N-Now this is ENTIRELY too much," Kiyotaka protested uselessly. Naegi shrugged.

"Yeah. But I'm really happy to see almost everybody together again. It's nice, isn't it?"

Kiyotaka smiled, scratching the back of his neck.

"...It is."

His voice served as some kind of alarm. Most of the guests rushed over to greet him once they had registered his arrival (with the exception of Chiaki, who was understandably preoccupied). He was as polite as could be while keeping his box safe and away from the many prying hands. Hiyoko demanded that Kiyotaka open her gift first, assuring him that it was the best one and that he shouldn't even bother with the others, which Sayaka and Akane were quite offended by. Kiyotaka knew better than to take Hiyoko's insults seriously by now.

"Owari," Togami barked, cutting through the argument. "Get back to work."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. Sorry, SIR." Akane gave him a mocking bow before she skittered off in the direction of that back room. Kiyotaka gave Naegi a questioning look.