Part Five: Visitation

When he felt his consciousness returning, it was accompanied by the blaring screams of the alarm clock. The room was still mostly dark, and it was early. How long had he even been able to sleep? It wasn't clear, but it didn't feel like much. He sat himself up and rubbed the heaviness from his eyes, though it returned quickly after. It was still a school day, and he would still have to get up.

He stretched himself out and hit the snooze button on the clock with one hand as he finished. He turned on a lamp, not quite ready to face any more brightness than that yet. He slid open his closet door and kicked aside the worn out clothes from the night before, grabbing out his uniform. He pushed his arms through the sleeves one at a time and ran through the routine of his regular morning. He grabbed anything he might need, including his phone, before halting himself in front of the door. He stepped backwards a bit to peek at his own reflection in the mini mirror he had arranged on his desk. Besides the bandaging, he looked like what he usually did before he left. He never really needed to put much effort into brushing the mop of hair he had, so it seemed he was ready. So with a precautionary slick back of the mess for in case it was suspiciously ruffled, he returned to the door.

He braced himself before stepping out into the hall. The hallway lights were dim, and most of the light was coming from the hardly rising sun. He held his hand to the wall gently to feel the texture of the wallpaper as he stepped down the stairs and into the shared living area.

Ochako and Iida were already there, sitting at a table together, but neither wore their uniforms yet. He felt a bit odd in his, but he ignored that. They were distracted by whatever Iida was watching on his phone. Some video was playing at a quiet volume so they could both watch it at the same time. Deku stopped by the refrigerator and yanked the door open, hoping to find something he could eat without preparing.

Uraraka jerked her head up slightly as she heard the door open. She seemed relieved to see him. "Oh hey Deku!" She gave a gentle and quiet greeting. Not everyone got up as early as they tended to for pre-class things like training or discussions. Iida would sometimes go on jogs or do other sorts of warm ups, and on occasion, Deku would join him along with whoever else who was awake that wanted to go. But not many were up yet, so even if no one would hear them, it felt proper to be quiet.

He leaned his head back in his motion to look at her. "Hey Uraraka..!" He smiled lightly. He couldn't quite shake the soreness or the drowsiness.

"We weren't sure if you were coming down today or not. You're usually a bit earlier." She reciprocated the friendly smile. "But there's still a seat here for you if you'd like to join us. We're watching a news report."

He felt the hairs of his neck raise slightly. He grabbed an apple from a basket beside the fridge instead and headed to sit down, shutting the door behind him. "What about?" He felt his voice drop to a soft inquiry as he usually did when he was curious of something important.

Iida straightened his sitting position and sat the phone down, sliding it over to him. "Someone broke into a lab further into town. We started watching because it was pretty close by, but it turns out they stole some pretty important information." He spoke with that just tone he did when addressing the actions of criminals. Of strangers even. Would he speak that way if he knew?

Keeping up with his front, he stared down at the screen and sat down with them. The scene showed police cars outside the building as well as shots from inside the building where the familiar glass wall had been broken. A voice over spoke above it. "In this research lab last night, a normal evening of study was disrupted when a hooded intruder broke in and stole files from their locked cabinet. The questions now are how, and why?" The voice ended as it cut to an interview with a familiar blond-haired researcher.