Chapter | 22

As much as I wanted to feed into the lust I was having for Tate in that moment, I didn't want to create any awkwardness. He was the only one who seemed to want to know who I really was.

I felt his gaze on the side of my face as I tapped my fingers to the beat against the steering wheel. I pondered what we would actually do when we got back to my place.

I couldn't deny how attracted I was to him, but I wanted things to happen naturally. And most of all I didn't want him while he was with Helena.

Maybe get ate and tell him to get out?

The intrusive thought made me blink twice in surprise. I tried not to scoff at myself. That was just the evil part of me wanting to claim him in small ways until he was really all mine.

I swallowed thickly when I felt his hand land on my thigh. Immediate butterflies sprung in my stomach. I bit my bottom lip, trying not to blush.

You cannot fuck him yet, Poppy, cmon be strong.

But I glanced over at him, finding his eyes hooded with lust.

God damn, he's really fine. Why are you being a prude?

I was questioning myself wildly, now avoiding his eyes completely.

I mean one time couldn't be so bad right?

I sighed at my lack of willpower.

"What's wrong, Dawson?" He leaned back in his seat, eyes examining my expression.

"I want to go on a date." I said without thinking.

He paused for a second, and I saw his eyebrows perk up. I was worried he wouldn't be for the idea, but then a slow smirk spread across his lips.

"Alright." He scratched his chin in thought. After a minute debate, he said "Can you skate by chance?"

I had never tried and I knew I was a klutz by nature so I answered hesitantly, " no I've never tried."

When I looked to him after, a full blown smile made my heart melt.

"I'll teach you, Dawson." His tone was calm and enthusiastic, making the anxiety that had been growing in my stomach disappear.

He hadn't made me feel bad for changing my mind. He didn't just want to fuck me. I couldn't help but smile too. 

"My skateboard is at my house on...." he relayed his address to me, and it was closer than I thought but a good 15 minutes away.

"I'm glad you're chill." I said. I didn't want to thank him for not being a dick about not wanting to have sex with him, cause I should be allowed to change my mind whenever. But I was glad he hadn't been pushy or mean to me like some men had been in the past. 

"I will always respect your boundaries." He said without hesitation. "It's no fun if we both aren't 110% into it. Plus this will be equally as fun."

My smile grew wider at his response, and I felt his lips on my cheek. I was practically simping for him at that point. My face felt hot and the butterflies in my stomach were non stop. I had never felt like this before and it was almost scary.

What if he's just acting? What if he's mad?

I pushed my intrusive thoughts to the back of my mind as best I could as he began to sing loudly along to a song by BONES.

"I'm really happy your taste in music is as good as mine." He said during a pause in the vocals.

Shit was almost too good to be true.

I wasn't trying to be so cynical, but trust issues are a real bitch.

"Me too. You might just be as cool as me." I responded playfully.  I reached for the pack of cigarettes in the console and went to spark one.

"If I smoke will I be cool like you?" He stared at me completely serious. Making me burst into laughter.

"Nah not nearly, still." I shook my head. "Paint your nails and start going by 'they' instead of 'he'. Then you'll be god-tier cool. An entity. An enigma."

"You're right. I see now. What color nails?"  He asked, before letting me know to make a right into a apartment parking lot.

"Any. Black is classic though. Acrylics if your ballsy." I picked an open parking space and pulled in.

"If you can learn how to ollie today, we can go on a nail date too." He proposed as he slid out of the car. He peered in at me for my response.

I was so surprised at how confident in his masculinity he was. Genuinely almost hotter than the kiss we shared. I nodded eagerly in response, eyes wide with adoration. He flashed me that killer grin, and then closed the door.

I could hear my heartbeat.

Am I catching feelings?