Ginger Lemon Tea

Mob sighed to himself before glancing at Dimple. "You don't need to go with me." The ghost merely ignored his wishes and continued to follow along. Slight annoyance pierced his heart, but he put it to the side. Instead, his mind darkened with the thoughts of how he was unable to change and ended up destroying Black Vinegar School. His hands curled into tight fists and then he released them. 'I... I'm hopeless.'

Nevertheless, he entered Keika Cafe with gloomy eyes.

Hotaru turned around with a bright expression. As always, she held a teapot in one hand and the other with a loose leaf tin can. "Welcome, Hope!"

Hope...

He wished that he could be seen as hope to someone, but...

"Is something the matter, Hope?" Hotaru walked up to him after setting the teapot and can aside. She tilted her head, so that she can meet his eyes with hers. He flinched a little.

"I..." He did not feel comfortable enough to tell her, but not many were comfortable to tell someone about how they truly felt about something important to them. Hotaru watched him patiently for a few minutes in silence before pulling on his hand. "Eh?" He looked at her startled.

"Well, you should sit down and have some tea first." She went behind the counter with a warm smile. "Today's tea is Ginger Lemon. It's good for your stomach and is also great to drink when you have a cold." She poured the hot tea into his cup. "For me, I like to drink it when I'm feeling down or worried though...because it warms you up a lot." Sadness flickered in her eyes, but before he could register it, she smiled at him happily - with anticipation.

His cheeks flushed slightly as he then looked down at his cup. "Then... I will try it now." He murmured to her quietly. Somehow, it felt nice being with her. Even if they did not know each other - no, because they do not know each other, he felt comfortable knowing that she would not judge him about anything. 'Or maybe...'

After he took a sip, the spicy taste of the ginger zapped him with a startling warmth, but before that spice could put him off, the blooming sourness of the lemon and the hints of honey wrapped around him like a comforting blanket. He could not help his smile - the smile that was not there earlier. "It's delicious..."

"Isn't it?" Hotaru let out a small laugh as she also took a sip of her own. "Mmm... So good."

"...Taru." Mob finally whispered out her nickname.

"Yes?" She took another sip.

"I failed to change."

That was all Mob said to her.

She tilted her head to the side and stared at him. She tapped her chin lightly before giving out a sad smile. "I see. Is that why you're feeling down today?"

"Yes..." Mob answered quietly as he sipped his tea to hide his expression and to not see her disappointment.

"Well... I don't think you should feel that down yet." Her words surprised him, making him look up at her. "Changing yourself isn't that simple and you're only starting to develop yourself. You can't expect to have such fast results." She grabbed a biscuit from the small plate. "But the fact that you acknowledge that you didn't do well this time shows that you're learning and that's better than not learning at all and repeating the same mistake, right?"

Mob's self-hatred started to fade away at her words. 'She believes in me...' He looked down at his tea again. "Then do you think I'll be able to change?"

At his question, she mustered up the biggest smile she could make. "Of course, you can! Just believe in yourself, as much as I believe in you! I might not have known you for too long, but I can tell that you're a good guy. So even if you make a mistake, I'm sure that you'll try to fix it and do better next time!"

"Okay." He smiled a little before taking a biscuit from the small plate and nibbling on it. His heart felt lighter - as if a small burden was lifted from his shoulders.

"Now then..." She stood up from her seat, going behind the counter. "I have to fill up these containers, so I'll be at the back. Enjoy the rest of the tea and biscuits, okay? I'll be back soon."

"Ah, okay." Mob watched as Hotaru juggled empty containers to the back of the store. He smiled a little before sipping his tea again. 'Warm...'

"You know, Mob." Dimple appeared out of nowhere.

"Ah, you were still here?" Mob blankly asked.

"..." Dimple sighed. "I was always here. You just ignored me the entire time. Anyways, you shouldn't be friends with that girl. It's not a good idea."

Somehow, Dimple's words irritated Mob. His fingers twitched on the cup. 'What right did he have...?'

"Your friendship with her won't end well."

Mob took a deep breath. "And why is that?" He needed to know. Perhaps, Dimple knew something that he didn't know?

However, Dimple did not answer and merely floated away.

By the time Hotaru came back, she noticed that Mob looked a little agitated than normal. "...Hope, is something wrong?"

"Eh?" He snapped out of his mumblings and his cheeks flushed a little from embarrassment. "Ah, yes. I'm fine." He then gave her a comforting smile. "Thank you for the tea."

Deciding to give him space, she smiled back at him. "In that case, that's a relief. Glad that you enjoyed the tea and that you're feeling better now!" Mob continued to smile at her before he glanced at Dimple in the corner of his eye.

Dimple, however, sighed in the background. "Don't blame me later." He murmured to himself, watching the girl with wary eyes.