Chapter 1

So um... Yeah! This is something I started writing..... a long time ago and I hope you guys like it! If you do then I'll keep writing it :)

Chapter 1

Great! Rain again! 3 weeks and it still hasn't let up. We moved here, to Washington almost a month ago and it made realize how much I took Wisconsin's sun for granted.

Turning over to see the time projected on my wall I counted down the seconds until my alarm went off.

"5-4-3-2 and 1." some old country song blasted through the speakers. I jumped up and shut it off on my way to the closet.

"No, never, NOT gonna happen!"

Talking to myself wasn't going to solve my current clothing issues. According to my mom I had plenty of nice clothes to start the school year off with. As you can guess I thought VERY differently. I quickly searched my closet for something that didn't look like it belonged in my 5 year old cousins closet.

"I guess I'm stuck with this."

Pulling on a plain blue T-shirt and the first jean shorts my hands touched, I flew out the door with a granola bar.

Walking into the near empty library I sat down in a comfy chair with an old copy of Wurthing Heights. I didn't understand the book at all but it kept me busy and it was also the only thing the librarian would let me touch seeing how I didn't have a card. I had just flipped to chapter 2 when I heard the bell on the door ding.

In walked a cute boy about my age with deep brown hair and a peaceful but, sad look on his face. I knew I shouldn't have stared. That was just common sense. I should've kept reading or at least pretended to. The key word is should've. I should've done it but, I didn't. Just because of those couple moments my whole life was going to change. Of course if I knew then what I know now I probably wouldn't be telling you all this, now would I?

With my luck the second he turned around from talking to the librarian I was still staring. His eyes met mine and a smile crossed his face.

"Hey." He said shortly as he started walking over.Only now did I notice that this kid was tall. He was at least a good 5 inches taller then me and standing at 5'4" I wasn't short for 13. Maybe he isn't my age after all.I thought still smiling omigod what if he's a freshman? He was practically in front of me now so I just replied with a 'hey' unfortunately he wanted an actual conversation. He sat down on the stool next my chair still wearing a huge and friendly smile.

"I'm Lukas Hale, Luke for short." He held out his hand which was surprising cold for the 70 degree weather. "I haven't seen you around town." He was still smiling but a puzzled expression crossed his face.

"Well, Luke my family moved here a couple weeks ago and I'm Ally short for Allison." I don't know what made me trust this guy, I don't usually talk to new people. Okay before I tell him ANYTHING else I need to at least to know how old he is. "So, what school are going to? I'm starting Marshall."

"Yeah, me too. The only other school is the high school and Kingston is for the kids living way out in the country."

It might seem like he said it like I was stupid but he didn't. The way he said it made it seem like I couldn't of even tried to know that.

"Where did you live before this? You don't seem like small town girl material." I already knew that but, shot him a dirty look anyway. He quickly said "I didn't mean it like that! It's a good thing."

I chose my words carefully taking what felt like forever to reply. When I did talk I spoke softly and slowly.

"Why do you even care? I'm a girl you just met."

When Luke saw my expression his smile melted and hurt replaced the peacefulness on his face. He looked directly into my eyes and said "I just want to know you better. I moved here 2 years ago and some one, anyone really would have been nice to talk to. Trust me I didn't want to upset you."

I thought for a moment as he got up to leave. I realized he was right and called for him to wait. I got up,jogged to him and caught his shoulder, feeling a cold sensation shoot through my hand again but, I ignored it for the time being.

"Wisconsin. We moved from Wisconsin." I was out of breath but I kept talking. For only leaving seconds ago he had gotten pretty far. "And your right, things would be easier with some one there for you." Walking over to a bench I said "Okay your turn. Where are you from?"

Luke followed me to the bench just outside of the library and sat down to my left. His smile returned and with it his peaceful demeanor.

"We -me and my brother- came from Utah. Why did you move?"

I pulled my legs up to my chest and turned to face him a smile on my face too. I shrugged.

"Dad's work moved. When his work moves so do we. Ever few years we pack up and have to move again, so I never had any really good friends. You?"

His smile once again faded into a grim little grin and sadness overwhelmed his eyes. Like he was trying to remember a time when everything was simpler in his life, when he didn't have that permanent sadness imprinted in his deep brown eyes.

"Well" He lifted his head to look at me again "like I said my brother and I moved from Utah a couple of years ago."

I nodded to show my interest and only now noticed a slightly purple tint to his eyes.

"Some time in early December, my mom's dad had just died. We all felt horrible about it and my mom, well she just didn't talk or anything. Like she was just going through the motions of her life." His look was distant but not as contented as it was the first time. "She finally agreed to go out with dad, Christmas shopping or something, I only remember it was really close to Christmas. On the way home a blizzard had started and the roads were really slippery. If he had seen it sooner he could have swerved but he didn't. So the speeding semi hit them dead on. And when we asked the cops what happened they said 'speeding semi plus icy roads equals one hell of a Christmas present. Merry Christmas kids.' Well Joey was eighteen at the time and ever since we've been on our own."

He looked at me and smiled again.

"I know what your thinking and don't." He reached over to rest his hand on my knee. "Accidents happen."

While his words had been reassuring his eyes gave him away. I wanted to give him a hug it was all so sad.

"I am so sorry."

I was on the verge of tears and my voice broke as I spoke.

"They seemed like good people and didn't deserve it."

Luke just said don't worry about, looked at the watch on his wrist and stood.

"Hey, it's almost one. You wanna grab a bite? There's this awesome diner a couple blocks over."

I couldn't help but to smile.

"Yeah that sounds great." I got off the bench, dusted myself off, and followed an almost complete stranger down the street. I barely knew him and I already trusted him completely. Boy, was I in trouble!