01 ― annual end of summer movie night.

❝ let's get this movie night started

let's get this movie night started.

"WHO'S READY?"

Emery looked between her brother, Dash, and their two best friends, Demetri and Eli. They were gathered in the Campbell family's living room. With just two days left of summer before school started, the four friends were preparing for their—as Emery liked to call it—Annual End of Summer Movie Night. They've been doing it every single year since the seventh grade. It had become a tradition that they all looked forward to.

Dash raised his hand in the air. "I am."

"Me too," Eli spoke quietly as he nodded his head.

"Me three," Demetri chimed in.

"All right, we'll all reveal our three movie choices," Emery said. "As honorary leader of movie night, as per usual, I get to share my picks first."

Demetri rolled his eyes. "You can't make yourself the honorary leader."

"Hey, I'm the one that suggested that we start having Annual End of Summer Movie Night," Emery argued with him. "Without me, there'd be no movie night, so I think that makes me honorary leader."

"If you say so," Demetri responded. "So, honorary leader, what do you have for us? Your usual picks I assume."

"You don't have to say it like that..." Emery rolled her eyes. "Honorary leader," she mocked his sarcastic tone.

Dash sighed. "Can we just hear what you picked?"

Emery pulled three DVD cases out from behind her back and held them out one by one. "First up on the list, an eighties classic, The Breakfast Club. Next, Clueless. And third, what might just be one of the greatest movies ever created, 13 Going on 30."

Demetri nodded his head. "Ah, the usual picks."

Emery rolled her eyes. "And pray tell, what movies have you chosen? Star Wars? Harry Potter?"

"Actually, no," Demetri replied. "I've actually decided to switch things up this time unlike some people."

"Oh really?" Emery asked.

Demetri nodded shaking the DVD cases in his hand before holding them up. "Yes. I present to you Weird Science, Ghostbusters, and Zathura."

Emery nodded her head. "I'm sensing a common theme...but surprisingly, those are all good choices." She turned her head to look at Eli. "What about you, Eli?"

Eli looked down at his hands, playing with a loose string on his sweater as his movie choices sat in his lap. "I picked Stand By Me, Flipped, and Sky High."