chapter 53

"Now! open the portal!" Luther pointed yelling at Five the back of fives jacket was soaked in sweat as he remembered our whole reason being here "right!" Five scrambled around and balled his fist, concentrating.

A huge blue ripple in the world appeared, the middle was a familiar sight, from the day we arrived. It was our siblings all looking up from the damp leafy courtyard. The portal crackled as Five panted heavily.

Five looked like he was struggling to keep focus. I jumped forward and grabbed his hand feeling a shock going through my whole body. Surges of energy seemed to get to me as the portal doubled in size. Was I creating energy too?

I felt a numbing ache seep in through my hand and spread through my whole body. I looked back to see the older Five, conscious and reaching for the briefcase

"Hey!" I screamed over the booming cracks that emitted from the portal

"Don't even think about it!" Luther yelled pointing the gun at Older Five.

"Get in the vortex you asshole!" Five yelled at his older self.

"Fine! But give me the math! So I don't end up looking like tiger beat over here" He yelled towards Five as he slowly sat up grabbing the other me's hand. "You stand next to the vortex, and I'll tell ya!" Five screamed, his shouting was but a dull whisper compared to the surging portal in front of us. The older pair nudged themselves next to the flashing blue ball of energy Five had created. "Closer!" I shouted to him. "This is close enough! Give it to me now!" He shook. Me and fives faces were both tricking with sweat.

"It was a typo!" Five yelled. "Typo?" The older Five sounded confused.

"we put the decimal in the wrong spot you are proof of existence of a bound for the number of limit cycles of planar polynomial vector fields of fixed degree, we wrote down 5.7 it should be 0.57!" Both fives spoke the last part in unison.

"Son of a bitch! I knew that didn't look right... alright... I guess this is it..."

"this is it! Go!" I shouted all of a sudden, on the other side of the portal klaus tossed a fire extinguisher, It flew quickly through the air and clashed against Luthers head. He toppled to the ground in a huge thump. The adult Five grunted as he reached for the now unguarded briefcase.

I let go of Fives hand as he screamed in pain. I must've been helping with converting energy. "NO!" I shouted fighting with the older Five for the briefcase. "Eight!" Luther yelled as he slowly got up "the portal! It's shrinking!" The older me grabbed onto the adult fives back before Luther rammed his foot into the adult Five hurling the two into the vortex. the giant blue portal blinked shut. Luther smiled as me and Five stared at the ground in disappointment. "well shit!" I groaned

"We did it!" Luther seemed to celebrate. Five was expressionless

"The briefcase, you idiot..."

"What?" Luther looked down as the crackling briefcase it was slaughtered, useless.

Five had already began to pace around the pavement. "You know what? A thank you for preserving your existence would be nice!" Luther pointed his finger to the ground as he shouted. "A thank you to preserving HER existence, I don't give one shit if I die!" Five argued to Luther, I became flustered at his words,

he'd really die for me?

"And here they come, the presidential car is moving out" the voice of a man on the radio crackled closer to the fence the older pair once stood at. "Luther... Luther! Here he comes!" I yelled at him as me and Five rushed To the fence and stood on the regular briefcase older Five had left, we both stood on it to see over the fence, although we were '13' we were both pretty short when we were actually this age. "Look there's dad... Luther pointed to a man, with an open black umbrella.

On the grassy knoll.

"What do we do?" I asked, wondering if either of them knew what to do next.

"Uh oh..." Five whispered.

Something or, someone caught my eye, a man running across the street.

"Agh... shit Diego!" I said under my breath.

Diego sprinted to dad, toppling over on him. Gunshots rang out as Diego immediately took himself off the man.

People screamed and police sirens wailed.

All I could focus on was fives breathing it was quick and shaky. Everything else seemed to fade into my head.

What were we supposed to do now..?