Chapter 8. True Nature

Within an hour the bells were raising the alarm at the monastery. Their clangs carried through the clear night. The Gypsies scurried in the moonlight bundling their possessions and harnessing their horses or donkeys. Babies cried and children chattered questions that their parents were too overwrought to answer. Most people hurriedly rolled up their tents and canopies with resigned faces. The task was too inevitable.

Guilt needled Thal like thistles stuck in his shirt. He had not been thinking about the consequences of his actions for the other people.

He loaded up Emerald's rugs, pots and pans, and canopy because she had no husband to help her. She tucked little items among the big bundles he lifted into her wagon and told him where to put what and not to crush this or that.

Concern clouded her face that was usually confident and jovial.

"I'm sorry," Thal offered.

She paused in her packing. "Don't blame yourself. Things like this happen. We'll get away. It'll take a while for that bully to get men up and armed from the castle," she said.

"But the villagers could be coming right now," Thal worried. He was confused by the contradiction of the locals. They liked to play at the Gypsy camp, but the Gypsies' presence was barely tolerated.

"Oh, those fools will fuss and yell but won't march up here until Jan gets back with some real men," Emerald said.

"I still regret causing this," he said.

His concern was endearing to Emerald. "Oh, Thal, I'm more worried about you. You're the one he's coming after," she said.

She had expected that dire fact to fill him with dread, but instead resolution to face mortal danger hardened his youthful features.

"He'll find me waiting for him," Thal said.

"By yourself?" she criticized. "Stop your foolishness. Flee with us. We'll get away and be laughing about the story around the fire soon enough," Emerald said.

"I have to delay him so you can get away," Thal said.

"One pistol won't be enough for that," she argued.

"I shall see," Thal said thoughtfully as his mind strayed down a path toward the far off forgotten magic of hunters long long ago.

Andreli rushed up to Emerald. "I need you to get the families moving now. Take the old road straight south. We'll make for Austria," he said.

Emerald nodded and hollered to two lads to get her sagging old draft horse harnessed. The beast looked ready to spend its final years at pasture, but instead would haul a wagon into mountains.

Catching Andreli's arm, Emerald said, "Our friend here thinks he'll stay to fight off the castle guards."

Andreli rolled his eyes at Thal's juvenile chivalry. His nod to Emerald told her that he would take care of her precious guest. She gave Thal a hug and told him not to be stupid. Then she got her wagon going so she could start the procession away.

Proud of his people for their swift reaction, Andreli had some hope that they would get away unscathed. Experience had taught him to camp a certain distance away from local authorities.

Sternly to Thal he said, "So you think that you're going to shoot your new pistol?"

"I think I'll have to," Thal said.

"You've got three lead balls and no experience. How is that going to stop Jan and twenty of his henchmen? Be reasonable. I know it's hard for a young man, but you must flee," he advised.