The Battle of Terrid Chapter 1

Start from the beginning

            “The Serpent Blade.” Caleb whispered.  “Really?  Can I have it?”

            ‘It’s all yours.” Darius replied.  “Do you like it?”

            Caleb touched the sword gingerly.  He grabbed the sword by the hilt and slowly moved it from side to side.

            “It’s beautiful, Father.” Caleb replied.

            “Now, you two,” Darius said,” a weapon does not make an elf a warrior.  It is how you use the weapon.  You will be training with General Topbranch.” Darius said.  All of a sudden, a soldier popped out behind Darius and whispered in his ear.

            “ Sorry you two,” Darius said, “I have to talk to some of the higher ranking elves about the battle plans.  I’m afraid you two have to leave.”

            Sighing, Elm and Caleb trudged out of the Town Center.   Before they left, they had gotten two bags to keep their weapons in.

            “So…training starts tomorrow,” said Elm awkwardly as they sat on the log next to the building.

            “Yeah…” said Caleb.  They sat there in silence for a while.

            “Are you ready to see people die?”  Elm asked Caleb.  Caleb stared off into space for a while.   Then he turned to her and said, “It’s war.  People will die.”

            “I understand.” Elm whispered to him.  “But…we’ll have to kill people.  I can’t imagine killing someone.  The face of alarm…the blood… the stillness of their bodies…Caleb, I’m afraid of death.”

            He took her hand in his.

            “Death follows us wherever we are, Elm. “  Elm’s orange hair flew into her face.  She brushed it back and put it behind her ear.  This is almost perfect, Caleb thought.  He leaned toward to kiss Elm when all of a sudden…

            “Elm!  Caleb!  What are you doing!”  shouted Clover Sparrowtorch, Elm’s little sister.  Caleb and Elm pulled back sharply.

            “Mommy says that you have to come now.” Clover continued.

            “Tell Mommy to wait one second.” Elm said to Clover, her voice dripping with annoyance.

            “SHE SAID NOW.”  Clover yelled.

            “Ugh fine,” groaned Elm,” bye Caleb.”  As Clover pulled Elm away into the night, Caleb wondered how good a warrior Elm would be.

            When Caleb reached home, he hid the sword in his room and went to eat dinner with his mother.

            Fawn Lightfeather was known to be one of the prettiest elves in the Land of the Sun.  With her bright copper skin tone, eyes as yellow as day lilies, and hair as glossy and black as a raven’s wing, she was a target for suitors in her village, one being Darius “the Brave” Starleaf.  The two young elves had first met during the midsummer dance, and it had been a magical night for both.

            “Hi son,” Fawn said to her child,” how was your day.”

            “Okay…” Caleb mumbled.  He wanted to surprise his mother with the Serpent Blade.  “I got something really cool…”

            “What?” his mom was curious now.  Good.

            “This!” he pulled out the Serpent Blade.  Fawn had to balance herself on the table before running to hug her son.

            “Caleb…what is that going to be used for?”  She released her son from her grasp.  “Caleb…are you going to fight?”

            “I’m sorry, Mom.  It’s my duty to protect our kingdom from those human invaders.  It’s an honor.”

            “Caleb, it dangerous.  I don’t want you to do this.  I don’t want a scout to come to our house saying that you’ve died.”

            “MOM!  LISTEN TO ME!  I’m not a baby anymore.  I was a baby 150 years ago.”  All of a sudden, Caleb felt a painful slap connect with his face. 

            “You’re acting boorish and repulsive.  Like…like…like your father.”  She turned to walk away from Caleb.  She stopped, looked over her shoulder and said, “I love you very much Caleb…but you’re acting like a greedy, piggish, human.”