The Problem is the Blood!

Start from the beginning

"You mean....." Kara begins, tears also in her eyes.

"Yeah...." Lena nods.

Everyone is silent for a moment, shocked by the information.

"'Ena? What's happening?" Alura looks up at Lena with concern on her face.

Lena looks at Kara for approval to explain it to Alura and Kara just gives her a nod. Kara is turned away from her daughter, not wanting her to see how scared she is for her. Lena then approaches Alura's bedside and crouches down beside her and strokes the top of the young girl's head.

"Darling, I'm going to need to draw more blood..... and to do so...... I need to draw it ...... directly from your heart....... with a large needle..." Lena explains.

Alura looks up at Lena and looks terrified. Lena just takes Alura in her arms and hugs her.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." Lena says as Alura remains still in her arms.

"Can we..... put her under?" Kara asks.

"No honey." Eliza replies.

"Okay...." Kara nods, scared.

Lena turns to look at everyone else.

"I hate to say this.... but we really need to do this quickly." Lena says.

Alex gives Lena a nod and turns around to retrieve the correct longer needle and syringe. Lena just carefully lays Alura back down on the bed.

"Okay. Kara why don't you stand on the other side of the bed with Eliza." Lena suggests.

Kara nods slowly and moves over to where Lena suggested, as she does Eliza grabs hold of her adopted daughter's hand and holds it tight. Kara just looks at Eliza and gulps with worry. Alex then approaches Lena, holding the syringe behind her back, out of site of Alura.

"Okay darling. This is going to hurt, but it will be much quicker than the spinal taps. I'm sorry though. I promise I'm not trying to hurt you." Lena says with so much care in her voice.

Alura nods slowly at Lena.

"Okay..." Alura says, softly.

"Honey, grab onto my hand and close your eyes. I don't want you to see this." Kara says as she holds out her hand

Alura grabs Kara's hand and Lena carefully pulls down Alura's gown to expose her chest. Alura looks at Lena then Alex before finally landing on Kara and Eliza. Kara gives her daughter a reassuring nod with a smile and Alura then closes her eyes.

"Okay. I'll tell you when it's over." Lena says softly to the half Kryptonian.

Alex hands Lena the syringe. Lena takes a deep breath and then penetrates the skin and enters the heart and begins drawing blood. Alura just let out a small gasp in response, holding Kara's hand tight. It only takes Lena a few seconds to draw all the blood she needs and she then carefully removes the syringe and hands it to Alex. Alex hands Lena a cotton swap and a plaster to cover up the puncture wound.

"All done. You were so brave Alura." Lena says.

Alura opens her eyes again and the first person she looks at is Lena. Alura gives Lena a small smile. In response Lena kisses Alura on the forehead before she moves away.

"Okay. I'll be right back. Let me just analyse the blood." Lena says.

"I'll come with you." Alex replies.

Lena gives Alex and nod and the two quickly leave the room. Alex and Lena enter the other medical bay and Alex immediately begins to set up the analysis, making sure to not use all of the blood. They don't want to have to do that again to retrieve another clean sample of Alura's blood. Alex and Lena then carefully examine the blood and Lena's theory is proven to be correct. Alura does have two blood types which make up her own blood type. Although this isn't the inherent issue with Alura. The issue is that it is clear that within the human blood type there is an inherent genetic flaw, one that Alura obviously has got from her father, whomever he was.