Words of Wisdom

Simon hadn't slept. He hadn't gone home, instead he had camped out in Izzy's room. He was too worried to leave the Institute. What if something happened to her? He wouldn't know until someone had remembered that he existed and rung him. Sunlight was coming through the gap in the curtain, when had it turned to morning? Maybe he had slept.

Izzy. His first thought. Simon checked to see that he was still dress, he was, and set out to get to the Infirmary. He barreled through the corridors of the Institute wishing his brain had a better sense of direction. Wasn't all this training meant to be helping with that? He was sure that he had already been down this one. About to give up and start shouting for help in pure frustration, he turned a corner into another corridor and there it was. The infirmary, heavy wooden doors that hadn't seemed so heavy to barged out of the way the night before. Now with very little sleep they were an enormous effort to push open. He tripped and almost fell into the room as the doors gave way.

At her bedside, blocking Izzy from view, was a figure; parchment robes concealing his shape. His hood drawn back away from his face, revealing only smooth skin. Slowly, the figure turned almost on the spot, to face Simon. He stared. He couldn't move his eyes away. The sight was revolting and terrifying all at the same time. His thoughts were no longer focused on seeing Izzy, they were all pointed at the being stood in front of him. Simon wanted to throw up. His stomach shrunk and he moved to back away.

"I am sorry my appearance has startled you, Mr Lewis" A voice boomed in his head. But it wasn't the voice that he normally heard in his head. Simon couldn't talk he couldn't move.

"I am Brother Amos. I am a Silent Brother. The Institute sent for me to help your friend Isabelle." The voice was quieter this time, reasoning almost calming. Simon relaxed slightly but couldn't take his eyes from the brothers face. His eyes and his mouth had been sewn shut. The silent Brother, sensing Simon's terror lifted his hood to conceal his face and stepped to the foot of the bed.

Izzy was revealed once he had moved. Simon was disappointed when he saw that she was sleeping. Great, he was stuck here with the weird man in gray and Izzy wasn't even awake. Still, he sat in the seat by her bed. He would wait for her to wake up.

"She may not wake for sometime Mr Lewis" The voice spoke in his head again. It sent a chill down his spine. What was this guy, psychic? He signed. 

Now over his initial shock Simon realized that he didn't know if he should answer the man stood at the end of his girlfriends bed. Was he deaf as well as silent? Curiosity got the better of him and he decided to ask a question out loud.

"Is she going to be okay?" He almost whispered. This was weird, talking to a strange man with no eyes and a sewn shut mouth, that he had found lurking over his girlfriend whilst she slept.

"She will be back to full health very soon Mr Lewis" He heard the voice in his head. It was reassuring.

"Good" Simon nodded. This had confirmed his suspicions, Izzy was stronger than she looked. "Oh and please, just call me Simon"

"As you wish, Simon" The man answered but didn't look as though he was going to leave.

Simon took hold of Izzy's limp hand in his and rested them intertwined on the bed. He felt awkward and slightly unnerved by the Silent Brother. Sat in the Infirmary holding Izzy's hand Simon attempted to ignore the gray brother and put everything straight in his head.

 This was so wrong to him. Where was her mother, Mayrse? Where were her brothers, Alec and Jace? Izzy was young and shouldn't be in a hospital bed recovering from injuries alone. Certainly not ones inflicted by her job. It didn't look right something about it made his heart sink, this wasn't how he had pictured Shadow hunter life.

"This is the life of a Shadowhunter Simon." The voice boomed loud and sure, dissolving his own thoughts "To be Nephilim is to protect the mundane world from the darkness of demons and keep peace within the shadow world" His voice grew mournful "If you can not say your oath and take on the Angel's mandate with all of your being, then this is not the life for you" Brother Amos turned and glided out of the room leaving Simon with his thoughts. Simon exhaled, was this what he wanted?