Announcements

Sat in the corner booth at Taki’s restaurant, Simon ripped up a napkin. Sandwiched  in between the broad shoulders of Jace and Luke his elbows were pushed into his sides. There really wasn't enough room for the three of them to sit at the same side. Isabelle came striding up to the table with a tray of drinks followed by a grateful waitress with a second tray. The drinks were set down and handed out then Izzy pushed her way into the other side of the booth with Clary, Jocelyn and Maryse. It was a strange assortment of females Simon thought to himself. He’d never put them together in the same friendship group. Jocelyn all seriousness and love. Clary bubbly energy and creativity. Mayrse all bitterness and sharp angles then Isabelle. Every bit as sharp as Mayrse but with the soft open mind of youth.

The doors opened and an even stranger pair entered the restaurant. A spiky glitter ball of giant altitude and a strong nervous man. Magnus and Alec had arrived.

They strolled over to the table, Magnus followed by a questioning glance from the bar tender. Typical, Simon thought, waltz in like you haven't kept us waiting for nearly and hour. The surrounding made Simon nervous, a werewolf sat to his left and a Shadowhunter to his right. A fairy waitress and a clan of vampires huddled in the corner. This was Shadowhunter life, he figured.

Alec, however, looked even more nervous than Simon felt. Instead of squeezing themselves into the already cramped booth they stood at the head of the table, like priests ready to commence a ceremony. A role that Magnus filled much more easily than Alec, who had his head down and his hands clasped. Magnus reached over and gave Alec a reassuring pat on the shoulder. It seemed to have the opposite effect though. Alec’s shoulders tensed and Magnus moved his hand back to his side. Nothing was going to sooth Alec at this moment.

Curiosity was building and Simon could feel the two men he was sandwiched in between leaning in. Isabelle kicked him under the table. When their eyes locked she gave him a questioning glance, as though he knew what was about to happen. He shrugged, he didn't have a clue.

Magnus cleared his throat, resigning himself to the fact that Alexander wasnt going to speak.

“The wonderful Alexander and I would like to announce we are to declare our love to one another officially in the ceremony of marriage, and we would be honoured if you would all attend” Magnus bowed his head towards Maryse. 

The small group erupted into a mixture of responses. Maryse face broke into a small smile and she raised her glass towards the pair. Jace spat his drink out over an unsuspecting Clary who was attempting an applause. Isabelle, although shocked, was smiling at the odd pair and clapping. Luke and Jocelyn exchanged glances and joined in the applause. Simon unsure of what to do started to applaud quietly, and instead watched the chaos unfold.

 Magnus and Alec raised their magically appearing glasses, hands joined and in perfect synchronization both took a sip of drink. Magnus looked more happy with the reaction than Alec who looked slightly apologetic.

Magnus winked at Simon. Going to see a women about a man. Simon raised his glass and Magnus returned the gesture.