eight: iris

to be loved.

Athanasia's life, Lee Jihyee would say, was a compilation of the unexpected and unfortunate. Constantly, she would have to tread life's murky waters in constant fear for her life, unable to see ahead of her except for her last year in this world.
Predictably, the unpredictable happened, and it came in form of a long raven-haired child, his ruby eyes staring at her mockingly, revealing passed his faux kind exterior.

Lucas. No surname, and no background passed a young genius warlock, had saved her life and is renown as such amongst Obelia for his accomplishment that no other magician could do.

Now, he gained a new title: the Princess' playmate. "I'm looking forward spending this time with you, Princess."

His expressive smile irritated her.

Why was her life like this...?

The magician was tricking them all, and it made her question just how powerful magic was, or even how powerful the person in front of her was.

All that she said had been completely out of spite. She didn't think it would end up like this. "Then go befriend whitey's boy if you want to so badly."

Falling down from the sky was the last thing she had been expecting to happen. Air rushing passed her body, oxygen escaping her as she began to scream-- God, the floor was alarmingly close now--

Soft. Was her first thought. Her second thought had been a relieved realisation that she hadn't died.

"An angel...?"

Ijekiel Alpheus, the male lead of The Lovely Princess, looked up at her with golden orbs. He was still young and impressionable despite being well-mannered for his age. After having spent years with adults, it genuinely refreshed Athanasia to see someone's eyes that were still so bright.

As she hid behind the bush, with the other behind it, it gave her a sense of familiarity. It was mildly comforting despite her situation, and she thinks back to the henge with Mr. Ghost.

"Say, what is that girl, Jennette, like?" It couldn't hurt to ask, she thinks.

"She's a girl I must protect." 

It's not as though she craved it, or particularly enjoyed the idea of it. But, she thinks, it would still be nice to have someone on your side; to not have to always be as vigilant as she has to. In many cases, Athanasia smiles a little at the image of a certain brunette maid that had always been there for her since day one.

Someone there for you.

[...]

"Promise me you won't do things like this whenever you want."

"Fine." A huff, "You do know that I'm a super powerful sorceror right? I could blow up the entire Obelien Empire if I felt like it."

And so what, she thinks. At least she wouldn't have to deal with her father potentially murdering her.

[...]

"Do...You not like the warlock?"

How could she?! "Athy thinks he's annoying! He's always so smug and he does whatever he wants. The entire palace praises him like a god, even though he stayed so he could keep eating Athy's desserts."

It makes her blood boil just thinking about it. Now she had to compete with both Raven and Lucas over the kitchen snacks. Her misery just would never end.