"Thanks." He says, clasping it in his hand. Mark giving it back to him felt weirdly symbolic.
Mark doesn't say anything back. More accurately he couldn't say anything back. Renjun looks up at the guy, who's feelings he was trying so hard to stop from showing. Renjun sighs, pulling him into a tight hug. He isn't surprised by it, instead he hides his face into Renjun's shoulder as the younger boy pats him on the back. "I'm sorry it turned out this way."

"N-no it's fine. This is a good reason for me to move on, so you guys can be happy. And I'll be happy that you guys are happy." Mark's voice is muffled as he speaks, making Renjun let out a small chuckle. "I'll find someone, I'll find my soulmate like she said I should."

"Yes you will. And we'll all be happy for you."

———

Renjun and Jaein have been staring at each other silently for the past 5 minutes. Both seemingly waiting for the other to say something, but since both of them have stubborn tendencies they simply will not be the first to say anything, thus the cycle will continue until one of them breaks. The ticking of the clock above them had never been louder. They have both had enough of it.

"I'm sorry." They say in unison, both of them looking at each other in surprise before starting to giggle.

"But seriously, I'm really sorry." Jaein says once she calms down, Renjun shaking his head in disagreement.

"No it's fine, I'm the idiot who needs to apologise." He starts. He digs his hand into his pocket, pulling out the device which Jaein hasn't seen in years. "I'm really really sorry." He says apologetically, his face showing nothing but sincerity and guilt. Jaein sighs, she just wants to tell him to forget he had ever heard anything on it, but she remembers ever single word of every song on it, it's not something that can easily be forgotten. He's never going to see her the same way.

"I forgive you. But please don't make fun of me for this." She holds the pen drive loosely in her fingers. "I made it when I was in high school so it's kinda dumb."

"Honestly I really like them. Especially ghost child and toska. The fact that you wrote those in high school was what amazed me." He explains, Jaein covering her face in her hands in embarrassment.

"Uggh okay we can stop talking about them ahah." She shoves the pen drive into her bag so that it's completely out of sight. "Let's just work on this damn song." She turns the pages of her notepad aggressively, a laugh leaving Renjun's lips at her flustered self. "Anyways this was your idea, so what did you have in mind?"

"I know you wanted to stop talking about it, but you know how Toska was about how you felt about not having a soulmate." Renjun starts, Jaein scrunches up her face at the mention of her song. It isn't the best song, she simply wrote it after Tami had pointed out to her that Mark will never love her properly as they weren't soulmates, and what broke her the most was that she realised that no one would.

"Eee yeah..."

"Well since you actually have a soulmate now, how about we make a sequel. How we had both accepted our fates of being alone just to be thrown into each other's lives." He suggests, Jaein's scowl easing, considering the idea.

"Pfft I can't believe you're going with the soulmate route." She shakes her head. She doesn't disagree with the idea, the idea of doing a soulmate concept with her actual soulmate sounds amazing. She just finds it kind of ironic.

"I mean it's a ballad, would you rather do something depressing?"

"No I like the idea Renjun." She laughs. "It's just— wouldn't we just be outing ourselves like that?"

"God please don't use the word 'outing' in that context." Says Renjun as he tries to stifle a laugh. Remembering something, Jaein places her hand on the table aggressively making Renjun jump slightly at the action.

"I dated a girl once." She informs as Renjun's eyes widened at the sudden information.

"What?! Why are you telling me this?" He exclaims, not sure what to say.

"I just thought you might want to know." She says simply, adjusting herself in her seat as Renjun gives her a blank look.

"How many people have you actually dated?" Renjun asks curiously.

"Just three. Some douche, the girl and Mark." She replies, thinking back for a second in case she might have missed anyone.

"Wow what a range." He teases.

"Well what about you buddy?" She asks, a smile on her lips as she watches Renjun cringe at the horrible nickname.

"I mean I dated a girl back home when I was like twelve." He shrugs.

"Ah that makes sense." Jaein nods.

"The hell is that supposed to mean? Do I seem that inexperienced?!" Asks Renjun, acting offended by her comment.

"Nah don't worry babe, it makes you adorable." She winks before the heat begins to rise to Renjun's cheeks, making his mind pause momentarily.

"Y-you...oh my god." Renjun throws his head back, turning around in his swivel chair as he tries to hide the wide grin that grew itself on his face.

"Hm? Is something wrong?" She says innocently, knowing very well that she has the power to do it again. Who knew a simple nickname could get him so flustered. "Hey turn around we need to focus on the song." She instructs as he turns back around, barely hiding his smile.

"So are we going to go with what I suggested." He clears his throat, trying to focus on the task at hand.

"Yeah sure I don't see why not." Jaein smiles, finalising the idea.

guys i got a job so idk what updates are gonna look like once school starts *flashback to when i didn't update for two months* i'll probably still update quite often ! all the amazing comments and messages you guys leave me just gives me SO MUCH M...

i'll probably still update quite often ! all the amazing comments and messages you guys leave me just gives me SO MUCH MOTIVATION !! and i love you guys so much for that so thank you 💕💕💕

well have a great day !! stay safe, stay healthy and rest :D