Chapter 10

The entire ride to the house was dead silent.  The radio wasn't even playing.  Peyton didn't have the courage to look at Lainey so she kept her gaze straight ahead, and Lainey kept hers on the road the entire time with a death grip on her steering wheel.

Once they got home Lainey got out and stormed inside, not waiting for Peyton, and slamming the door open. Peyton got out slowly and walked as slow as she could trying to avoid the rant she was about to endure, but she knew she was going to have to take it without any complaints because the whole thing was her fault.

Peyton took one step inside the house and expected to be ambushed, but to her surprise Lainey was no where to be found. Peyton creeped through the house looking for Lainey, but trying to be as careful as possible not to do anything to anger her further. She was in the kitchen when she heard Lainey coming down the stairs so she went to the living room to meet her at the bottom.

"La-Lainey" Peyton stuttered as Lainey made her way down the stairs.

Lainey ignored her and continued on past Peyton towards the front door.

"Lainey please talk to me" Peyton choked out through her tears that were threatening to escape.

Lainey turned around realizing Peyton was about to cry. She opened her mouth to respond but decided against it and turned back towards the door.

"Wait Lainey please!" Peyton begged "Please give me a chance to fix this. Please I know it's my fault. Just please hear me out before you go. Please, please, please, don't leave."

Lainey turned back around to face Peyton but didn't say anything. She stood at the door with her arms crossed and waited for the girl to say whatever she needed to so that she could leave.

Peyton took advantage of the situation and started apologizing. "Lainey I am so, so, so, sorry. Please you have to believe me." She said taking a step closer to where Lainey was.

Lainey didn't move a muscle or change her expression at all so Peyton continued. "I didn't mean any of those things I said about you, and I damn sure didn't mean for you to hear me say them. I only said them because I knew there was no other way to shut Amber up without her asking a million questions and trying to poke holes in our story. No one was supposed to know that we were engaged yet, and I didn't know what else to say. I'm so sorry please believe me."

Lainey still stayed completely the same as she was before not giving any indication that she was listening or caring one bit about Peyton's apology. Peyton continued with her apology taking a couple more steps towards Lainey. "I'm not even asking for you to forgive me because I know I don't deserve it, but please believe me when I tell you that I didn't mean any of it. If anything it's the complete opposite of how it really is. You are so kind, caring, and trusting, and I took advantage of that and I am so sorry about that."

Lainey still hadn't moved and Peyton had now taken enough steps to be only a couple of inches from her. Neither of them said anything for a while. Peyton had nothing else to say for herself so all there was to do now was wait for Lainey to blow up.

"Done?" Lainey questioned breaking the awkward silence.

"I am so sorry Lainey. Please let me make it up to you."

Lainey just raised her eyebrow at Peyton as if to ask if she was done again.

"Ok I-I'm done."

Lainey turned around to leave without saying another word.

"Lainey! Please don't leave!" Peyton yelled out as Lainey was walking down the drive.

Lainey rolled her eyes and turned around so Peyton took the chance to continue, "Get mad, yell at me, tell me how awful I am and how I don't deserve your forgiveness, but please please please don't just leave without saying anything. I need you to say something." She said with tears rolling down her cheeks.