Chapter 2 - Warming Up

[3rd Person POV]

╚»★★«╝

Korekiyo woke up to his head pounding uncontrollably as he gave an unimpressed and tired groan. He had only woken up the day prior, so he was still trying to settle in with the other students once more. His gaze travelled around the plain room he had been assigned for the night and the room that would become his new dorm. He gave a heavy sigh as he pulled himself out from within the sheets, gazing upon himself in the mirror. Not too bad for the first night. He yawned as he brushed through his waist long hair, humming to himself as he did so.

Korekiyo heard the pattering of footsteps pass his door as the others headed to do their daily morning gathering in the dining hall. Korekiyo pondered a bit, deciding not to join the others straight away, slipping on a black turtleneck and grey coloured jeans. As the pattering stopped, Korekiyo exited his dorm, quickly gazing down both ends of the hallway to make sure everyone had passed.

Korekiyo travelled down the halls, soon passing the large wooden doors which lead to the dining hall. He heard the booming voice of a familiar face. None other then Miu Iruma herself. She must've woken earlier in the morning. Despite wanting to greet her, he continued down the hall as Miu's voice slowly faded away. Korekiyo traced his finger along the crevasses on the walls as he hummed. The hallway was quiet. So peaceful. It all felt unreal, unnatural to be in a place so peaceful after everything that happened. A shiver was sent down Korekiyo's spine. Perhaps it was best not to think about it.

Korekiyo came to a stop as he reached the doors of the resting hall. Even the thought of it made his body feel heavy. Though, he felt a strong urge to check up on who was left, to make sure they were okay, despite nobody but Amami doing such for himself. He waited for a moment, before pushing the wooden doors open. The hall was cold and had a slightly uneasy breeze hanging low in the air. 

Korekiyo travelled down the centre of the hall, observing the now empty beds and the currently occupied ones, tapping his fingers on the side of his arm. He counted down the beds until he paused, coming up to the next person that was expected to wake. Gonta Gokuhara, Ultimate Entomologist. Korekiyo stood facing the curtain that separated him from the other resting in the bed. It wouldn't hurt just to check up on him.

Korekiyo slowly pulled back the curtain, his gaze falling upon the resting male in front of him. He stepped through the curtain and advanced closer to the bed. The two boys were silent, one completely motionless and one observing quietly. Korekiyo sat and waited for a while, curious if the other would wake up. It wasn't until he was absent for a brief moment that the taller woke, squinting and regaining the feeling within his body.

Korekiyo pushed the curtain back as he returned, pausing as the others movements caught his attention. The tallers gaze soon began to travel, landing upon the masked Anthropologist who stood besides his bed.

"Kiyo..?"

He spoke, propping himself up on his elbows as he rubbed his eyes.

"Hello there, Gonta. It's pleasant to see you awake."

Korekiyo sat back down where he was previously, handing Gonta a plastic cup of water if he needed it. Gonta sat himself up properly, still trying to take everything in. It was all so confusing. Korekiyo was patient with him, explaining the situation to him when he was ready.

"So.. friends are okay??"

Korekiyo gave a nod and Gonta's expression seemed to lighten up, a wide smile painted on his face. Kiyo gave a small smile beneath the fabric of his mask, though it wasn't noticable.

[Time Skip]

The two travelled down the empty hallway together, exchanging nothing more then a few words. Korekiyo wasn't one for friendly conversation, especially between someone he hadn't really gotten to speak with properly before. The two came up to the large wooden doors that lead to the dining hall. 

Korekiyo opened the door, Gonta standing behind him. All the students who had gathered had turned their attention to the door (which excluded Tenko and Himiko)

"Good morning all. I have some news I'd like to spread."

The students all whispered and edged forward in interest. Korekiyo stepped into the hall with Gonta, everyone smiling wide at him. Kaede rose from her seat and wrapped her arms around Gonta who did the same but was careful not to crush his friend. Many of the others did the same as Gonta frantically apologised to Miu who sat with her feet with the table.

Korekiyo went and sat a bit further away from the group, satisfied that we was at least able to bring a happier atmosphere to the dining hall with the appearance of another students. Kirumi occasionally passed him, the two exchanging a wave and a good morning. 

Gonta had already settled back in within the group before noticing Korekiyo sitting more off to the side. He called Korekiyo's name to get his attention, motioning for him to come over and sit with the others. With a reluctant sigh, Korekiyo accecpted and moved along so he sat more to the outer section of the group, earning an eager smile from the Entomologist.

The now larger group began discussing with each other, the whole class almost reunited once again. As Korekiyo was seated with the group, he couldn't help but notice Himiko glaring back at him whenever he looked in her general direction, to the point it made him visibly uncomfortable.

It wasn't long until the students began to leave in groups of two or three until Gonta, Himiko, Tenko and Korekiyo were left within the dining hall. Gonta had gotten up to leave before turning to Korekiyo.

"Kiyo? Would you like to come with Gonta?"

Korekiyo turned his attention to the taller, looking to the Mage who was still glaring back at him, before looking back to the Entomologist,

"I see no harm in doing so."

Korekiyo nodded and stood up as Gonta smiled. The Mage rose her head and spoke.

"Is there a problem, Korekiyo?"

Korekiyo turned his attention back to the mage, who had a displeased expression on her face. This wouldn't end well.

[To be continued in Chapter 3]

╚»★★«╝