Chapter 1

Sun Probe is one of my favourite episodes so I decided to make some extra scenes for it because fluff and I needed John in that ep. c:

Some of the dialogue is taken directly from that episode - if you're a geek like me you should know which bits! xD

~~~~~

Gordon couldn't believe it.

A few minutes prior, he had been celebrating the end of another successful mission with his father. After many close calls, Thunderbird 3 had finally managed to save the ill-fated Sun Probe and her crew of three. They had been following the live news coverage of the rescue to monitor the mission progress and after waiting in the dark for a little while, the news reporter had declared the rocket had been saved, causing Gordon to jump for joy.

Scott. Alan. Tintin. They were all brilliant. Absolutely brilliant!

Gordon had no idea how they'd managed to pull it off - the margin for success had been shrinking and shrinking as the two rockets propelled closer to the sun. Yet somehow, despite all the odds, the trio had had a breakthrough. They'd managed to fire the rockets' retros from afar.

They'd saved the Sun Probe.

The fraught voice of the reporter cut through his thoughts, redirecting his attention to the television.

"-wait folks, here's more news. This is disastrous. It can't be true! According to the tracking stations, Thunderbird 3 has not altered course. She is heading straight for the sun! Stay tuned to-"

"Gordon, what's happening? They're not pulling it round!" Jeff panicked, turning to his fourth son.

Gordon's heart plummeted, his mind exploding with every single possible reason the rocket would suddenly fail. His most immediate conclusion was the boosters. "Father, the retros must have failed!"

Jeff set about contacting their resident genius. "We've got to get through to Brains right away."

"I'll call John." Gordon replied swiftly, making his way into the lounge.

As his father sought Brains' intervention, Gordon sank into the sofa, pulling his wristwatch up to his face. He let out a shaky breath and prodded the screen until John's contact code came up, allowing him to call his older brother. The blonde's grave face immediately appeared on the screen.

"John?"

"Gordon. I just heard."

"Yeah."

"How's dad? Kyrano?"

"Not good," Gordon admitted. "Dad's calling Virgil at the moment. Kyrano is his next port of call."

The line fell silent. The brothers didn't know what else to say.

"Any news your end?"

"Negative. Dad ordered radio silence between our 'birds before the mission. I did try the link a few times but I received no response. The radiation's just too powerful."

"Tell me about it." Gordon sighed, leaning his head back to exhaust his lingering fears. He moved the watch back up to his face. "We think the rocket retros have failed."

"Likely down to the radiation." John surmised.

Gordon scowled, "Then how do we stop it?"

"I don't know." John momentarily turned away from the screen, fiddling with his control panels. "Sorry, monitoring an earthquake in Nepal. Multitasking."

"Are you still tracking them?" Gordon asked, watching his brother at work.

"Following their flight path as we speak."