"Maybe Mason Lockwood believes he can use the moonstone to break the curse," she said.

"If we start believing in some supernatural witchy-woo legend from a picture book, we're idiots." Damon looked to Jeremy. "Who has the stone now?"

"Tyler."

"Can you get it?"

"We're setting up for the masquerade ball today."

After he nodded, he added, "See, now your life has purpose."

She scoffed. "So, you do believe it?"

"It's the same book that says a werewolf bite kills a vampire. Ignoring it would make me an even bigger idiot." He finished his drink before motioning for Jeremy to follow him. "Let's go."

Elena and Bonnie were walking across the Lockwood Mansion lawn. Elena was the one talking, her words quiet and soft as they filled Bonnie in. Abigail nodded to Jeremy, splitting off from him and Damon to join them.

"I can't believe this," Bonnie said.

Abigail slowed her stride to keep pace with them.

"It's a lot, I know." Elena continued, "Katherine's doing everything that she can to drive me and Stefan apart."

"And," Abigail added, "Caroline just got trapped in the middle."

They sat down on the same bench they always had, the one Carol Lockwood called "The Girls' Bench."

"It's not that Elena and Stefan are pretending to fight." Bonnie looked from Abigail to Elena. "It's that I didn't even know you guys were fighting at all."

"I'm sorry," Elena's apology did not stop there, "but you've made it pretty clear where you stand with the whole vampire thing."

Abigail shot a glance at her sister, not for her words but for her tone. "We don't want to keep things from you. We didn't mean to let what is going on with Caroline get in the way of that. But she needs you, too."

"So," Bonnie started, "that makes me the odd man out."

"No-" She cut herself off when she realized how defensive she sounded. Her face tightened before it relaxed, making her smile soft. Soon, her voice followed, "No, Bonnie, of course not. I don't want to keep things from you."

"I know where we stand, Abigail." Bonnie did not smile, she nodded. It was an accepting gesture. One that was only meant for Abigail. "Buy where do we stand?"

Elena's fell. Her face fell the way it did when she hadn't realized she'd hurt someone. "You're my best friend, Bonnie."

"Not yet, I just... She's a vampire. I can't." Bonnie stood up. "I think we should get back."

Bonnie left. Elena sighed. Abigail followed.

Mason was carrying a box of decorations for the ball, an overflowing box, that although heavy put no strain on his muscles. "Hey, Abigail!"

"Mason. Hey." She smiled at him. "I bet you missed this."

"Oh, yeah. All the Founders' stuff." A look spread over his face, one that made his eyes go cold. "Excuse me."

Abigail's eyes found Bonnie's, but hers were still on Mason.

"Bonnie, hey. Are you okay?" Her questions earned no response. "What's the matter? Are you okay?"

Bonnie got to work sorting masks. "When I touched him, I saw something."

"What do you mean you saw something? Like a vision?" Their eyes met. "What did you see?"