Chapter 41 (edited)

Start from the beginning

No way. Where'd this stuff come from?

The other men began gearing up and reloading their guns.

The passengers side door I stood next to opened and someone wearing a hood handed me a rifle.

"Here you go."

"Oh." I grabbed the rifle. "Thank you." I handed it off to Breda who stood next to me.

They sound familiar.

"It's good to see you Colonel. It's been a long time huh?" They continued to speak.

I watched as they lifted their hood. "Hm?"

My eyes widen as they revealed their face.

"Second Lieutenant Maria Ross, returning to active duty without permission sir." She saluted me.

Breda and I stood speechless.

Really??? How??? When???

I couldn't even put into words how surprised I was. Nonetheless I was happy to see she had made it back.

I was about to speak when I heard a loud bang.

I turned and saw that Rebecca and another rebel fighter had fired a smoke bomb where the active fire was coming from.

"Quick! While they're distracted!" Rebecca called. "Pile in!"

Ross quickly took the drivers seat, while Hawkeye and I climbed in. The rest of the group sat in the back.

We drove right through the bombed area.

I looked at Ross. "I didn't know you were involved in this. Not that I'm complaining." I paused. "But I do have to ask, where did you get all these weapons? And who did you go through to get them?"

"You ask who? I'll let him tell you." Was all Ross said.

Hawkeye and I stared at her.

Well, thanks for the riddle.

"Devlin made it to her current post. Her and the rest of the Briggs men should be on route." Ross reported.

My stomach dropped. So, Armstrong put her on the frontline. I rubbed my temple, feeling even more stressed. Why couldn't she be here?

"At least we know she's in Central now, Colonel." Hawkeye brought me back to reality.

"Right." I nodded.

Still, I don't like this. I'd rather have her by my side, doesn't matter if we'd only be arguing the whole time. I paused. What I'd give to argue with you again.... I longed for her.

We drove until we were out of the city.

The truck came to a halt and I followed Hawkeye as she climbed out.

"You'll need this." Ross pulled out an amateur radio backpack from the back of the truck.

A few minutes passed and Fury climbed up a power pole to hook up the radio. "All set." He called from up top.