A warm wind blew through the yard, causing a drumroll of leaves and sticks, as if nature's symphony were coming to life.  The air was heavy with the aromatic scents of the plant life.  He had never seen anything like it.

"Wow," Chase said out loud.

"Do you like it?" Avery called from behind him.  She had emerged from a sliding door near the patio, carrying two glasses.

Chase shook his head and walked back toward her.

"I hope you like ice tea," she said, sitting at the table and setting a glass by an empty chair.

"Uh—sure, thanks," he said, taking a seat.  "Avery, this is amazing.  How do you have time to do all of this?"

She smiled, "My neighbor Francesca helps with the maintenance and upkeep.  She loves gardening almost as much as I do."

He took a sip and turned his attention back to the yard, amazed at the beauty of it all.  His gaze settled on a nearby pink and white bush, and he asked, "What is that one?  It looks incredible."

"Oh," Avery said, beaming at his compliment.  "It's flowering right now, it doesn't always look that way, but yes, it is beautiful."

"What's it called?" he asked.

"Variegated Weigela."

"What does religion have to do with it?" he quipped.

She looked at him quizzically before laughing and setting her glass down, "No, that's not a religion, that's its name!"

He smiled and nodded, turning his attention back to the yard, "This is phenomenal, really."

"Thank you."

"How do you do all of this without getting your hands dirty?" he asked, taking a sip from his glass.  "You know, your fingernails and stuff.  I never would have guessed you were a gardener."

"Rubber gloves," she said, raising her glass as if in a toast.

"Nice," he said.

"Can I be honest with you, Chase?" she asked, her expression turning serious.  "There is another reason, but it's very personal."

"A reason for what?"

"My elaborate garden," she said.  But then her expression shifted, as if she had second thoughts.  "Never mind."

"No, tell me," he said, now curious.

She looked at him and said, "If I tell you, you have to promise me that you will not push for more information."

He shrugged, "Sure."                                                                 

She took a sip from her glass and set it down, hooking her hair behind an ear. 

"I lied to you about my job, Chase.  I am not really a case manager; I'm only doing this as a favor for Nathan.  He was doing some work at the jail and needed help with ensuring that you were released safely."

Chase was not surprised at her admission, "Well, what are you?"

"I'm a botanist."

He was dumbfounded.  That may have been the last thing he expected, despite the beauty of her garden, "You're a botanist?"

She nodded, "I work at the Moretti Research Center.  That is my real job.  Have you heard of it?"

"No."

"Oh," she said.  "Well, we do mostly microbiology there.  Our research is used in the genetic engineering and biotechnology fields."

"That's interesting."

The Angriest AngelOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara