Chapter 88

I don't know if any other writers have these moments in their stories that inspired them to write it in the first place. Like you picture certain scenes so vividly and that's what you're writing towards?

Anywho, this is one of those. So seatbelts on! :)

Despite the freezing November draught coming in from the window of Auriga's room, she was too hot. Her sheets were sticking to her legs, and her forehead was wet with perspiration. She hoped to Merlin that her wound wasn't infected, else she'd have to go to St Mungo's to sort it, and that wouldn't do, what with the nasty questions.

Deciding that a trip to the kitchen for some water may do her some good, Auriga slipped out of bed, pulled a blanket around her and padded down the creaking stairs, using her wand to light the way. Once she was safely in the kitchen, she turned on one of the lamps and found herself a glass. It took only two sips to cool her down and she placed the glass down with a heavy thud.

There was a little bit of water in the bottom of the sink, and if Auriga leaned over at just the right angle, she could see her right eye peering back at her. She sniffed a little and wrinkled her nose to stop the tear dripping down her face from falling. But that only pushed it further over the edge and it dropped into the tiny puddle, sending finite ripples out and away. It was soon joined by a silent cascade of its sisters and brothers, all of them with no real meaning. Auriga was just sad. Sad and tired and sick of the world.

"Are you alright?"

Auriga jumped at the voice coming from the stairway and quickly covered up her face, pretending to rub her eyes while she secretly wiped away the tears. "Yeah," she croaked. "Yes...yes, I was just getting some water. You don't mind?"

"No, no," said Remus quickly. "Feel free."

"Thanks," said Auriga, taking a sip to prove that was what she'd come down for.

"Do you need anything else?" asked Remus, his face threatening to frown but his mind clearly telling him not to.

"No," said Auriga quietly. Remus hesitated for a moment, but then nodded and turned around to head back upstairs. Auriga's heart rate quickened the tiniest bit. "Actually, Remus?" He heaved a breath, and Auriga thought she was imposing, but when he turned around his eyes looked hopeful. His beautiful, brown eyes. With little golden flecks. "I can't do this anymore."

"Do...what?" asked Remus, his voice as silky as melted chocolate.

Auriga took a deep breath. It was now or never. Time to take the plunge into the choppy seas. "Do you remember the first time we met?"

Remus nodded once, and leaned against the doorframe, sensing that this would be a lengthy conversation. "The fourth floor of the Ministry of Magic," he recalled. "As I told you yesterday." He looked like he wanted to add more but restrained himself.

"Seven years ago, almost to the month," Auriga continued. "And after that it was five, long years...before I fell in love with you." She dared a glance at him, but his face hadn't changed. Nevertheless Auriga pushed on. "It took me five years to battle through the prejudice and the pride and everything else before I finally let myself love you." A few tears dropped down her cheeks.

"My whole life I was controlled. Every little thing was perfectly planned for me. I was perfectly planned. And my parents would have had the perfect daughter, if it hadn't been for you."

Remus smiled the tiniest bit. "I won't take all the credit."

"Do you remember-"

"The second time we met was at the Three Broomsticks," Remus interrupted. "Over a year later. I asked you to stay for a drink and you said you couldn't."

Auriga took another breath and smiled through her tears. "I wish I had," she sniffed. "Because I wasted so much of my life without you, Remus Lupin. And here I am, in your kitchen, wasting the rest of my life while a war is happening on the doorstep."

"What...what are you saying?" Remus asked, still refusing to let anything show on his face but standing up a little straighter.

Auriga wiped all her tears away before she answered, and she made sure to look him directly in the eye when she did. "I still love you, Remus," she told him. "And Merlin's Beard, I miss you."

He didn't move. Nothing moved. There was a ticking sound from a clock somewhere, and the faint rustle of the leaves outside. But the world was frozen and Auriga's breath had caught in her throat. He didn't say anything.

"I'm sorry," said Auriga, looking at the floor before turning back to the sink. "I'm sorry...I shouldn't have..." She poured the rest of the water down the sink. "I'll leave in the morning," she promised.

But when she turned back around Remus was stood right there, and he looked down at her with unashamed wonder in his eyes. Wonder that Auriga had never seen before in a character so reserved. And then his hands were on her waist and he kissed her. And she kissed him back. They kissed as though the world was ending, because that day, it was.

When they broke apart, each of them had the tiniest glint their eye, the smallest glimmer of hope, of fire, of life that an eye had ever held. But it was there. "And here I was, thinking you were gone," whispered Remus, a single grateful tear dripping from his cheek and onto hers. For that moment, everything was OK.

"Shall we go upstairs?" Remus whispered to her, whispering as though he was saying something he shouldn't. Like he was telling her a secret.

Auriga nodded and leaned forward kissing him once more. He pulled away, taking her by the hand and up the stairs, into his room. Auriga had never been in here, and so, looked around. It was lit by a dim lamp in the corner, and the bedsheets were tangled and thrown back. There was a towering bookshelf that was full to bursting, and an old wardrobe opposite the bed. An empty teacup sat, discarded on the bedside table and next to a small pile of books.

Auriga shut the door behind her, and Remus turned back around, sighed and kissed her again. His hands found the hem of her jumper that she'd borrowed, and he lifted. Auriga's shoulder twinged and she gasped in pain.

Remus stepped back and away, looking surprised and ashamed that he'd hurt her. "I'm sorry-" he said quickly.

"No, it's OK," said Auriga, pulling her jumper off a little more carefully. "Not your fault." He smiled at her, before she stepped forward and he kissed her neck, gently and sweetly. They found their way to the bed, and Remus's head hit the pillow. He closed his eyes, smiling softly to himself. The smile faded.

"I'm sorry, Auriga," he said. "I really am. But I'm just too tired. It was the full moon last night-"

"It's alright," said Auriga, summoning what she hoped was a kind smile. "I understand. My shoulder's not really up for...um...physical exertion."

Remus snorted, his eyes still closed. "You sound like Madame Pomfrey." Auriga smiled at him, even though he couldn't see. "Auriga?"

"Mm?"

"Will you stay anyway?"

Auriga smiled even wider and lay down next to him on her left shoulder. "I'm glad you'd said that," she mumbled into the pillow. She felt as he wrapped his arms around her and nuzzled his face into her hair. He was warm and she felt safe and protected in his arms. Auriga knew, that no harm could come to her while she was here.