|Prologue|

If I had known any better, I wouldn't have made a fuss about changing my robes and slipping in my sandals to go outside.

I wouldn't have whined and showed laziness to feel the sun's light on my skin.

I wouldn't have rolled her eyes.

Nor groaned as I spotted a black haired boy sitting at the top of a hill.

If I had known any better, I wouldn't have pretended like life wasn't enclosed in a time capsule. I would have treated like every grain of sand mattered.

"Big brother Ashera,"

I stopped to be behind the only willow tree that rested on the top of said hill. Soft wind blew through my hair and the fabric on my robes matched its pace. I stared down at the houses below us.

From up here, I felt like I could see everything.

"Hey brother, our mother calls for us."

I sighed and chuckled a little. I had received no response so it was an immediate prop np for me to come closer. Still, I bugged the boy with the same question.

"Where are you looking at, brother?"

It was only then did I hear a dry: "The sun."

No interest at my appearance, no time to even acknowledge I was here in person. Just focused eyes—as if lured in, staring at that glistening sphere.

I frowned, moving my head up to face the direction he was looking at. Immediately did I raise a hand up as a reflex to shield my eyes from the sudden flash coming forth. I protected myself from the sun.

"The sun?" I whispered, showing little to no interest. My little comment afterwards hinted at that. "Boy, is it bright.."

I never understood why you came outside every so often, Ashera.

Was it to look at the sun?

Ashera didn't move a muscle, but he did turn around and gave me a questionable glare. It wasn't a deadly one, I'd say. This boy was far too kind for those. But, I did see a little bit of offense rising.

Noticing said tension, I lowered myself to the grass and took a seat, after making sure my robes wouldn't be stained in dirt. "Mother said it's bad to stare at the sun for too long, you could go blind." I reminded him.

Ashera shakes his head, "But I like looking at the sun." I managed to actually sigh once again, this time in disappointed, at his response. Couldn't he have thought about anything better?

Geez, Ashera, you're the older brother.

"Why do you like the sun so much?" I asked. I prepared myself to not expect a rational response.

Ashera pondered for a minute, I allowed him time to think.

The drains of sand in the capsule dawned on us all.

"It's warm." He says quietly. "I don't know why but the heat it gives off whenever your eyes stare directly at it. You'll never be cold ever again." He outdones himself with such an excuse.

I laugh slightly, placing my elbow on my mouth to muffle my giggles.

"You're weird." I couldn't help but say.

There was a bit of silence between us siblings.

I didn't mind.

I liked looking up ahead, looking at the trees and the cliffs, enjoying our surroundings.